Vaillant Ecotec plus 28. Standing water found under boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last few mornings I have found standing water beneath my boiler on the worktop (sited in a cupboard in the kitchen with worktop in the cupboard too). At first i thought it was splashing from the kitchen sink, but the water was actually in the cupboard and leaked through onto the worktop side. I have felt the boiler and it doesn't feel wet anywhere, has anybody any ideas as to why this is doing it. It only does it over night when the boiler's been off, but not during the day when it's off (it comes on at about 5 in the morning for a few hours and then at 5 in the evening til 9pm)

Thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
It could be that your condensation trap is either blocked or frozen. I did have one that was leaking as the 2" (yes 2") condensation overflow was frozen. A couple of secs with a blow torch got it flowing again and then a towel over it to stop it freezing.

Equally, just check to see if you've got any leaks from the pipes under the boiler. It should be pretty easy to see where it is coming from.

Thanks for that, but is the condensation trap the bit of pipe that goes outside? (can you tell I'm female??) It has been very cold the last few nights. I have felt under the boiler where all the pipes come out and nowhere is wet. If the trap is that bit I'll go and have a look to see if it is blocked.

Sponsored Links
The condensation pipe is the one that eventually goes outside, or sometimes into the SVP (Soil Pipe, brown 4" round).

When it goes outside, it is supposed to go from the 19mm pipe to and 1"1/4 or even greater.

If it's gone outside, it could get blocked (unlikely) or the water that runs out of it could freeze. If it freezes (I've seen this) then the water that is supposed to run down the pipe (quite normal) cannot. It will then backup and eventually spill out over onto the underside of the boiler.

If it's been happening for a while you will see some discolouration of the white pipe - it's about 19mm wide. Should be the only white pipe coming out of the bottom of the boiler - or the boilers bottom !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back