Nissan Micra won't start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Micra 02 and there is 28k on the clock. As you see it is very little used so when it wouldn't start tonight I couldn't figure out the reason.

*The petrol tank is nearly full
*There is plenty of power in the battery

What happened tonight was: I go in the car and turned the key. The engine turned over but just wouldn't catch. There was a strong smell of petrol fumes shortly after, indicating that the pump was sending fuel to the pots.

I turned the car over last night to move it up to the driveway, so it fired up then. I don't know whether damp has got into the pots.

I am at a total loss why it is being naughty.

Anyone help?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Never depress the accelerator when trying to start the car, it sounds like you have flooded the engine, if you could remove and dry the spark plugs, I'm sure it would start no problem.
Damp cannot get into the 'pots' unless the head gasket has gone, damp can however affect the electrics, a spray with WD40 might help.

Wotan

The K11 is prone to this - starting the engine from cold and only running it for a very short while is a bad move as it floods - as per previous post. The minimum time this engine should run for, after a cold start, is one minute.
If it won't start at all - take the plugs out, (lay them on the cylinder head so they can spark) and crank the engine over. Dry the plugs and pop them back in. It'll start no prob.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John.
I'll have to figure out how to remove the plug cover that's tied down with a Philips screw.
I've not done this type before (being a banger man during my working life) no doubt I'll be on the last turn of the screw and a spring will shoot out.

Thanks again

Early K11's had a rubber plug cover that simply pushed on, later ones were secured with 1 10mm bolt. Remove this, and tease the plug cap upwards until it comes free.
The plugs are well recessed in these, and I use a 3/8" extension on a socket set, together with a magnetic plug socket which makes life much easier.
No worries about getting the plugs back in - so long as you keep the extension fully upright there's no chance of cross threading.

Thanks John,

I followed your advice:
Removed the plugs, which were wet with fuel but in good condition, so I flared the excess fuel off over the gas cooker, polished them with a wire brush. checked them with a feeler gauge and put them back. I give the Terminals a good squirt of WD40, closed the lid.

Turned the key (no accelerator) but it wouldn't start. :(

Uuuurgh not what we wanted to hear.
When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the buzz of the fuel pump for a few seconds, as it builds up pressure?

Hello John,
No I can't hear the pump but petrol is definitely getting to the chambers. This morning I tried to turn it over and it is trying to catch but falls short of firing up.
Would a tow do it? Under normal circumstances I wouldn't ask for advice regarding that, I would just ask a neighbour to connect the rope and go, but I have been told that these engines are a bit more complex than the old Ford 100e and damage can result from old practices.

Your advice about running the Nissan for a minute or more to avoid problems is supported by others and that could be the source of my problem. According to one expert:
The throttle should not be touched when you go to start & if you hold the throttle down whilst cranking it won't start as this puts the inj system into " clear flood mode" so it turns the injector off. Micra's did have an issue with coolant temp circuits as well & mods were carried out if they flood when starting. they have a resistor fitted in the loom. About £20 from nissan. Also if you start a Micra up to move it but don't actually drive it for 5 mins or so it won't restart but will go with a bump. this is due to petrol wash & reduced compression or hydraulic tappets jacking.
Thanks for your advice John I appreciate it.
Piper

Good morning Piper
Sorry to hear you are still in bother with your car.
I'm not too convinced (at this distance) that the car is getting fuel.....when you turn the ignition on the fuel pump should whirr for a couple of sec and then stop. This is controlled by one of the underbonnet relays - and they are known to corrode. Certainly if the pump isn't running, the car wont start at all.
Anyway, if you want to rule out a spark plug problem, take the plugs back out, lie them on the cylinder head and crank over. Each one should spark in turn, but to avoid coil damage ensure that the plug body does actually contact metal. Try that, will you - and this at least can be ironed out of the equation. Good luck!

Just another thought...there's no reason why you can't tow start the car, but the catalytic converter mustn't be flooded with raw fuel - thats the risk you run.
The early K11's were offered a replacement wiring loom to sort the cold start flooding issue...obviously this won't affect yours.

Might sound daft, but has anyone put a spud up your exhaust?

Wotan

Hello John.
Thanks for your continued help.

Today I removed one of the spark plugs and held it against the block and a rapid set of amber sparks showed. My neighbour who had a look at the spark said it looked weak to him, because he thought it should be 'bluish'. So I've ordered a new set for tomorrow.

One thing I noticed is; When I removed the plug and looked down the spark plug well into the engine block, I could see a reservoir of fuel in the bottom. There was a strong smell of petrol so although I cannot hear the pump delivering fuel to the chamber when I turn the key, it must be working don't you think.

Piper, good evening and thanks for the update.
Ideally, the colour of the ignition spark should be blue, as you say. Micra's aren't particularly heavy on plugs, but yours could well be the original so its a sound move to replace them.
Regarding the liquid you see at the bottom of the plug recesses...I can't see how that can be petrol, unless you can actually see down the plug 'ole into the cylinders...what happens here is that the gasket between the rocker cover and the cylinder head fails slightly, allowing oil to escape - and it fills up the plug wells. replacing the gasket is the way to go here, and have no fears about removing the rocker cover if you want to give it a go.
I agree completely with your petrol theories too - but if the car is still in the huff where do we go next? Personally I think these are brilliant cars and normally start just by talking to them...!
They do have a throttle body problem, but thats more concerned with the running and idling than starting.
Pop the air cleaner cover off when you are thinking of something to do next - and see what state its in...they can get pretty grubby.
If we have fuel and a spark, its about time the car gave us a break.

Sponsored Links
Back