Kitchen and Bathroom Sealant for uPVC window frames?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just used Bathroom and Kitchen flexible sealant for my uPVC window frames then managed to find Frame sealant and started to use that for the other window. It looks like the Bathroom and Kitchen sealant is much harder and not so easy to apply, and some brands say not to use it for uPVC window frames.

My question is have I made a mistake to use Bathroom and Kitchen sealant for uPVC window frames and how to remove it at a later date.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I've looked at the Bathroom/ Kitchen sealant tube and it doesn't say whether its silicone or acrylic; it does say its a water-based sealant, I don't know if that helps.

If it smells like vinegar then it is silicone. If it has little smell it's acrylic.

Sponsored Links
I can't be sure, think it might be acrylic but would like to know about both types of sealant, if possible for future reference.

If it's acrylic it'll be fine for a while but over a period of months it'll start to look rather grubby. It's pretty easy to remove with your fingers and a scraper, it comes away a bit like putty.

If it's silicone then it'll still be OK. The difference between window and sanitary sealant is that the window stuff is low modulus and the sanitary is high modulus. The low is softer. Remove with a stanley knife blade.

Either way it's no big deal.

Thank you very much thats good advice. It's starting to look a bit grubby already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back