Need bathroom fan isolator switch enabling 2-way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an extractor fan installed in my bathroom which is triggered by the light switch (on a pull cord). There is an isolator switch installed just outside the bathroom that enables me to stop the fan from being turned on by the light and thus leave the fan off completely.

Here's the thing ... in addition to this, I now need a "mode" to be able to turn the fan on independently of the light, so that I can turn the fan on without having the light on.

Is it possible to get a switch with multiple positions (or something similar) that will allow me to do this? i.e. (1) Turn the fan on and off with the light pull cord (2) Turn the fan on and off independently of the light pull cord - so I can have the fan going with the light left off.

Thanks

Glen

Sponsored Links
Is it a timer fan? If so, would it not be simpler to just flick the light on then back off starting the timed sequence?

Considered other controls for the fan, which aren't dependent on the light going on eg a humidistat?

Sponsored Links
you can / could get a two way fan isolator switch, i have seen them a few years back, i remember it well because i couldn't think of any use for it.

Many thanks on all the replies so far.

Nope, it's not a timer switch. I had a light activated fan on a timer switch in a previous house and hated it because the fan would needlessly rumble on for a while even if you just needed to turn on the light for a few seconds. But yes, that is indeed an option if I can't find another manual solution.

I would prefer a manual solution to do the trick if possible, rather than occupancy sensors etc. I asked my local electrical wholesaler if they sold a two way fan isolator switch and they didn't. So maybe I just need to look around for one further afield or from an internet retailer..

Thanks, .... any more ideas most welcome ;)

Glen

Chane or adapt the fan to include a intergrated pull cord, it might even have the switch already inside the fan housing.

You would have to lose the function of switched live to the fan, so the fan never comes on with the lights, but you would then have the ability to choose via manual switching when you want the fan on and when you want the lights on.

The regs on fans will allow such a setup only if the room has a window. If the room has no natural light and no natural venting then the existing setup should remain.

Surely any 3-pole 3-position (or 2 position + off) switch which is adequately rated will do the job?

e.g.

(Other switches and other suppliers are available)

OK - that one is slightly over-rated :D but packaged like that they are aimed at high-current applications, e.g. stand-by generator connection. If you search RS Components, for example, you'll find lots of smaller switches, but you will have to sort out your own enclosure.

Why not just use a second, 2way, pull switch to select either 'on' or 'light' followed by the isolator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back