VW Polo Timing Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I
Two days ago I drove my perfectly healthy VW Polo into a local garage for an MOT. I called to collect the car and was given the certificate, I went to my car and it wouldnt start, the local garage called a diagnostic man to check and he said the timing belt needed replacing. The local garage said they would pay for the repair if VW said it was their fault,I had the car towed to the VW dealer who diagnosed the same fault and said they couldnt say what or who was at fault. VW want £719 for the repair. I wondered if the MOT garage had over acelerated the car whilst checking emissions or dropped a foreign body into the engine. What do you advise.
Thank You

Sponsored Links
If your Polo has a diesel engine, you could well have a problem here.
The MOT test says that the engine has to be revved up to maximum rpm for a minimum of 3 times, and the smoke emissions recorded.
This is a crazy thing to do, and garages realise this - which is why they have a disclaimer notice which says that the timing belt must be in good condition, and replaced within the manufacturers recommendations.
Most mechanics realise this, and are sympathetic with the revving of your engine - keeping it flat out for the absolute minimum of time.
If your car has a petrol engine, the engine has to be kept at around 2500 RPM for 1/2 a minute or so - which is no problem. If the belt snaps here, it was on its last legs anyway.
John :)

The reving of a diesel engine, is to check the operation of the engine speed govener, this must be done three times, to prove the engine cannot
over rev. the governer must control max revs.
It is vital that you understand the implications, that they will not be held responsible should the timing belt break.

Wotan

My car is petrol, do you think I have any recourse with the garage to whom I took the car. ?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I very much doubt it.....the garage would look at the belt change intervals and contest on its quality and condition.
Your cars mileage, age and use would help us, but on a petrol car the belt isn't stressed during its MOT test anyway. I don't think the garage would be at fault here, really.
John :)

Back