water pump. causing header tank to overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my header tank has been overflowing for atleast a year and a half. i have tried many different things but to no avail. i have a back boiler in my dinning room and central heating and hot water run through this. my hot water tank is in a back bedroom with the pump next to it running vertically. the header tank is then above these in the loft. i have now began to wonder if the pump that is next to the hot water tank is pumping in the wrong direction. i have looked at the arrow on the pump and it is pumping up towards the header tank. could this be the cause of the overflowing tank? methods i have tried to sort this out have been to clean the entire system with fernox i have taken half of the radiators off the walls and flushed them through and also changed the ballcock in the header tank incase it was broken and letting too much water in none of these have worked

Sponsored Links
could this be the cause of the overflowing tank?
i wouldn't of said its pumping the wrong way

i take it its fully pumped system ?
does it do it on both hw/heating ?
have you had a new pump fitted ?
when did it happen after any work was done ?

when i bought the house in sept 2008 pump was leaking and a new pump was fitted in the same way as the previous pump. i think the overflow had been leaking before the pump was fitted as there was damage to the ceiling below the header tank from water. it will overflow overnight even when the level has been dropped in the header tank by about 3 inches even with the heating and hot water off. when the hot water is being heated the water flows into the header tank with a continuous flow but not enough that the overflow pipe cant get rid off it fast enough. i have turned the pump down and this lessons the amount of water going into it while it is running but is still continuously overflowing.

it will overflow overnight even when the level has been dropped in the header tank by about 3 inches even with the heating and hot water off.
that don't make any sense.
can't pump over if the pump/systems not running

when the hot water is being heated the water flows into the header tank with a continuous flow but not enough that the overflow pipe cant get rid off it fast enough. i have turned the pump down and this lessons the amount of water going into it while it is running but is still continuously overflowing.

take it you mean over the vent pipe and not the feed pipe in the bottom.

Sponsored Links
i know that bit doesnt make sense but that is what it did i only tried it once but i had water and heating off when i went to bed and i turned it off until i had checked the level the morning after, that was before i replaced the ballcock as a precaution but the problem still persists so i presumed it wasnt the ball cock leaking. yes it is the vent pipe over the top that i see the water going into the header tank from

and its the f/e tank not the cws ?

useally only leaves a faulty coil but that will useally backflow by the feed pipe

header and cold water tank are both on boards in the loft but the water tank is larger than the header tank so is higher.

i'm sorry but i dont know what f/e or cws are?

do you have a gate valve (big red handle/circular handle) from your big cold tank to your hot water cylinder? possibly in your airing cupbaord or loft space?

there are 2 pipes in the airing cupboard with red circular handles one is at the back behind the hot water tank the other rund upwards to header tank i presume header and cold water tank have the same in pipe for cold water but two seperate feeds i presume this is normal?

The one that goes into your hot water cylinder, turn that red wheel valve off (clockwise). It may be stiff so be gentle/careful! Then if turns off ok open up a hot tap, and see if the hot water tap flow soon stops.

yes turning the valve off stops the hot water flow through the tap downstairs

Ok, now see if the overflow stops?

BTW: when you open the gate valve 9red wheel) again be careful, sometimes they can snap and even when they feel OPENED they can be shut still (spindle can snap)

it is not overflowing unless it is heating the water. but yes the water still flows into the header tank with the valve closed and the hot water on. it doesnt seem to flow with just the heating on. does this help?

ok, when you say OVERFLOW, do you mean out the wall that overflow pipe?

Also, which tank exactly is overflowing? the smaller one or the bigger one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back