Replacing radiators - numerous problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace a radiator, but I'm unable to find the drain valve on the system - there was nothing on the pipes in the vicinity of the boiler, and the rest of the pipework is under the floors. Question number 1: Could the drain valve be on the boiler itself? See pic:

15o6vdx.jpg

This is above the pipes which are under the floorboards, so even if this was the drain valve, would I be able to fully drain the system using it?

Anyway having turned off the flow to the feeder/expansion tank, I think I've managed to drain the system (or at least the radiators) through the hole in the radiator (the reason it's being replaced), which I've now removed and am looking for a replacement for it. Question is, if the radiator I find is of a slightly different size to the old one, is adjusting the surrounding pipework going to be a big problem?

The old one is a modern one but I want an old column style one as a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
erm is that pick of boiler please zoom out a bit first so i can see if i can give u advice

The pic is indeed the boiler; what I think is the drain valve is on the mid left, as seen here (not the best pic admittedly, I'll replace it in daylight):

wpe79.jpg

I believe the radiator is cast iron, under a good few coats of thick paint though. Not sure why that matters?

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't put a spanner any where near that boiler. if the holed rad has drained out you've probably drained most of the system to that level
anyway, almost certainly enough to take the rad off to change it. have a load of rags and a bucket ready, just in case...
you did open the bleed valves on the other rads to drain down, i presume?
good luck

i wouldn't put a spanner any where near that boiler. if the holed rad has drained out you've probably drained most of the system to that level
anyway, almost certainly enough to take the rad off to change it. have a load of rags and a bucket ready, just in case...
you did open the bleed valves on the other rads to drain down, i presume?
good luck

Cheers. I did open the bleed valves yeah. Radiator is now removed, awaiting a new one in it's place. Now I'm just wondering the practicalities of installing one of a slightly different size; I'm not too sure about fiddling with the feed pipes under the floor - there's not too much slack on the bits that protrude out from the floor (can't mind their names - feed and drain?). Anyway is it an easy job, or should I make a bigger effort to buy same-size radiator(s)?

is it an easy job??

that depends on how good your plumbing skills are, jimmy.

i can't see what's required, so i can't say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back