Thermostatic Shower Valve Inlet Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new shower a couple of years ago.
It's a thermostatic mixer valve fed from a combi-boiler.
It has operated great, until recently the temperature from the shower has fallen.
I've stripped it down and eventually traced the fault to the elbow where the hot water enters the valve. It appeared to be blocked. As it's a right angle I can't see into it fully, but there appears to be what I presume is a one way valve which should open under the pressure of the hot water trying to enter when the shower is turned on. This was "sticking" to it's "seat". (Hope thats makes sense). I have freed it off with a small allen key and it seems to be ok now.
Unfortunately the valve was "concealed" and I have had to break a few tiles getting it out.
So the question before put it back and conceal it again, is this a common fault, is there anything I can do to prevent sticking again, or should I just mount it on the wall so i can whip it off should it happen again?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
its not a issue that happens all to often but it does happen.
is it a good quality shower or cheaper ?

It was bought from bathstore, there are no markings on it so I presume it's their home brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back