Transformers - Difference between LED and normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had a transformer installed for the Ring Select a Light outdoor lighting system last year thinking i could use it for both LED and normal lights. I have just realised that the Ring Select a light system is not compatible with the Ring LED system. I have been to B n Q and compared the transformers and they seem similar to me - does anyone know if there is any difference? Basically i would like to link up the LED lights to my normal lighting transformer and not have any normal lights so it would be just an LED system - is that possible

Thanks

Sponsored Links
LED's use a lot less power, so the output of the transformer needs to be able to operate with a lighter load.. some of them have a minimum load of like 60W..

Basically i would like to link up the LED lights to my normal lighting transformer and not have any normal lights so it would be just an LED system - is that possible

That would depend on whether your LED lighting system requires a constant current or constant voltage drive. If they don't recommend standard ELV lighting transformers be connected to the LED lights, I suggest you don't do it, and contact Ring to get hold of the correct item.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you help...I would swap it but all the holes have been cemented / filled and cable buried! Think i am going to have to just use the normal lighting. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back