Small Bathroom Floor Tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Been having a look on here for about a week or so but not managed to find the exact answers i'm looking for.

I'm completely gutting my small bathroom (House Built in 2001)
1.9m x 1.7m (w)x(d) and replacing with new W/C Basin and Bath. I'm looking to tile both the wall and floor. My questions are.

I've pulled up the carpet and underlay and found some small water marks around the pedestal on the chipboard floor. Due to this being chipboard will i need to pull it up and replace the whole bathroom with WBP PLY @ 25mm if i can get it? If not can i use a backerboard from a Tile warehouse and fix this as overboarding onto the current Chipboard? The floor at the moment is fairly steady and i guess this is down to the minimal area of the bathroom.

If i go down the route of new PLY or overboarding with backerboard, do i board right upto walls and door threshold? Will i need to overboard under the bath too?

The tiles i'm looking to use are Polshed Porcelain and are 60 x 60 in black. Ardex are a customer of mine so i'm able to get their products cheaply. I've been told i need to use the P51 Primer first, then the FLEX 7001 product to adhere the tiles to the floor. I'm also looking to use the Warmup UFH 150watt matt. Am i correct in thinking that this will just sit in between the adhesive and the tiles without insulation board?

Regarding the Porcelain tiles, i've been informed that they have to be cleaned and sealed at the tile of laying and then repeat after grouting? Can anyone recommend products for this?

The wall tiles are 25x33 and are being applied on all walls. The walls have been emulsioned in the past. Will i need to sand the walls back to the
plaster or is scoring them and then applying the Ardex WPJ barrier going to be fine? Around the non bath area, do i need to use a watered down Unibond pva solution beforehand or is there an alternative solution for preparing a wall for tiling?

Thanks for help!!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi !

No, I'm afraid I can't help ! Well, not much...

But three weeks without a response ? That's bad / unusual !

So I hope this will float it back onto the horizon...
some small water marks around the pedestal on the chipboard floor. Due to this being chipboard will i need to pull it up and replace the whole bathroom
Is it blue (water resistant) chipboard ? It ought to be, in a bathroom !

Is the chipboard actually damaged, or only stained ?

If it's only "cosmetic", you could simply coat the floor with yacht varnish. I suggest you try to avoid increasing the floor thickness, i.e. avoid a step.

secure exsisting floor to joists.

prime floor(acrylic primer)

thinset addy onto floor "flexi" (6mm notched trowel) fix b/boards brick pattern with 3mm-5mm gap between them and around perimeter of walls screwed down.
up to legs of bath.

lay out ufh make sure its not running under any whites.
check with multimeter.
pour a self level compound over ufh.

primer/addy/tiles/sealer/grout/wash/sealer again.
fit whites/bath panel.

sealer...aqua-mix/lithofin/hg/fila there are a number out there am prefer aqua-mix.

small bathroom you sure you need ufh.

as for walls score the paint/prime/addy/tiles etc..

no to the pva mate.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back