Remodelling Staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to gain an extra room within the existing floor plan, I want to replace a straight staircase with a winder staircase. The extra bedroom to replace the existing over sized bathroom should add £20,000 to the property value but would also need a new supporting wall or beam to hang the first floor joists in the new bathroom. I shall also be taking most of the small Victorian terrace down to the brick. (Most wall plaster is blown, lathe and plaster ceilings are in danger falling, the ground floor needs tanking and rotten lintels and joists need attention.)

One quote for the staircase suggests it would cost about £500. However, I'm sure the new supporting wall, joists and fitting will be very much more.

I want to do most of the preparation work myself and just employ builders for new structural work. I have never removed a staircase and would appreciate advice. I don't fancy dropping a heavy lump of timber on my head. What preparation work can I safely do by myself?

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, a staircase is not a supporting structure and should be safely removed without the risk of anything landing on your head. Considring the age and condition of the property though, it may be an idea to ask whoever is fitting the new stairwell to advise.

do not for one second think your alterations will be worth 20.though

an extra bedroom may be worth up to 20
in your case where are you putting the bathroom!!

variouse alterations may reduce the value
remember the works must comply with building regs
works inside a bathroom must comply with part p so no diy electrics unless you are competent which includes being fully aware off the regs

a more sencible level is to expect the exta room to add perhaps 8 to 12 .000
if all goes well and you dont detract elsewhere

Sponsored Links
Do not for one second think your alterations will be worth 20. Though an extra bedroom may be worth up to 20 in your case where are you putting the bathroom!!

OK, to answer your questions I'll go off-topic (sorry). Firstly, Ill discuss everything the local building and planning controls.

I'll start with roughly:
  • 10'x12' lounge
    10'x12' dining room
    8'x10' kitchen
    5'x24' hall + stairs

15'x12' bedroom 1
    10'x12' bedroom 2
    8'x10' bathroom
    5'x12' landing + stairs

I'll end up with:
  • 12'x12' lounge
    15'x12' dining room with chimney removed
    8'x10' kitchen
    3'x12' hall + stairs (more like 5' wide by the front door)

15'x12' bedroom 1 (minus 3'x5' corner)
    7'x12' bedroom 2 with chimney removed
    8'x10' bedroom 3
    9'x4' internal bathroom
    3'x12' landing
    3'x4' stairs

Although bedroom 2 looses quite a bit of floor area, it gets a better layout and more usable space.

I'll loose the existing partition walls and one chimney breast. You can see that the reception rooms become much larger and more 'open plan'. The new timber frame supporting wall could conceal the new soil stack. I'd also take the opportunity to improve the sound insulation and heat insulation.

I'm in two minds about keeping the kitchen where it is or moving it into the larger dining room (the new soil stack would be handy for that too). If I move it then I can turn the old kitchen into a garden/play room with patio doors. That way I'd gain an extra reception room as well as a bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back