help on a beko frige freezer required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one tell me how to test if my Beko fridge freezer can be tested.
the compressor gets warm and there is a slight hum from it - but does this mean it is running or just getting power?

the fridge and freezer dont get cold now although there is power to the compressor and the defrost heater timer is running. I have trued manually turning the timer but does not solve the problem.

the capacitor - a plastic one has a sort of melted bit sticking out of it. would the compressor run without this or does it need it. the small disc starter relay (i think) clicks on and off every minute or so - it looks like a Pizzo sounder! Any suggestions please ?

Sponsored Links
the small disc is a thermal trip to prevent the compressor running when it gets too hot.

Some compressors have a capacitor to start them but it is not very common, more likely the one you have is an RF filter (if the rating is 0.47 micro farads or there of it is an RF cap, if it is 4 or more then I would expect it to be a motor start cap)

Is yours a frost free version if so the first thing to do is a manual defrost, switch off and open the door for min 24 hours keeping a check on the evaporator on top of the compressor for water over flowing.

Frost frees have a defrost timer fitted for the heater element (manual or electronic types) if the timer is faulty then it could be the heater is running all the time.

Thanks for that. Yes the cap is 5micro farrads - so would the compressor not start without it?

Also the fridge freezer is not iced up it is completely at room temp. I down powered it for 24 hours and everything is at room temp. The heater timwer is not faulty it works ok and I have turned it manually also and the power drops off the heater pk.

could you answer the question about the hum from the compressor? does it mean it is spinning or is it just hum from the coils but not spinning?

Thanks for the info on the thermal disc - I have realised now that the starter relay is probably the balck connector looking thing plugged onto the bottom two terminals of the compressor. Do you know how I can test this ? it has a reading of about 13 ohms between left and right termainls when disconnected from the comptressor.

someone told nme it might need regassing but doesnt that happen gradually not instantly stop getting cold? there are no obvious leaks or breakages in the pipes and ot is only 5 years old.

Sponsored Links
most compressors have three terminals on them with different manufacturers labeling them differently.

not sure about yours but generally you have

Start, Run, common terminals

Measure between
start and common take reading
run and common take reading
start and run take reading it should be the same as the first two readings added together.

If the motor is a capacitor start then yes it will need to be connected for it to work.

All compressors will make a humming noise when running (some will also make a humming noise if they are not rotating) generally if it is not rotating it will be getting hot and the thermal cut out will be operating.

De gassing can happen very quickly and it is hard to spot a leak, also bear in mind most appliances especially at the cheaper end of the market have a design life of about 5-6 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back