Squealing when running hot tap or gas shower etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a high pitched squealing noise when running any of the hot taps in the house or when using the gas shower run off combi system. The loudest is when using shower. When the downstairs tap is run the squealing noise still comes from the bathroom. A few times when running kittchen tap there has been a very strong vibration and loud juddering so much so that you can feel kitchen units shaking so I have to rurn it off as it feels like it will explode. This vibration and juddering sound has also happened a few times when running the bath, its quite scary actually.

This started a few weeks ago I don't know if its related to a few things I had fixed then. I had the combination boiler repressurised, a new washer fitted on the kitchen mixer tap and a new radiator valve and thermostat fitted to one radiator. The boiler and heating have been fine since but not sure if this is just coincidence that the noise has occured now but thought I should mention it just in case.

I have turned off the main stop tap and turned it back on again but the problem still remains.

Sponsored Links
has your cold water incoming pressure increased? had any pipe work done in the house any dripping taps mixer taps??? does it happening more when you use a certain tap?

Nath

I'm not sure if the cold water incomming pressure has increased I don't know how to tell but I havent noticed anything. The only pipework I have had done is the radiator valve as the thermostat had broken so he complately replace the valve joint (the silver bit) and put a new thermostat on. I think thats still classed as pipework?

The mixer tap washer was changed in the kitchen at the same time.

The vailant boiler was pressure vessel was represurised a few days before that.

I'm just trying to remember when severn trent had to do something to the water system as I remember having to turn my water off for a day but not sure if that might have been around the same tim or not if that might have had anything to do with it.

The noise is always louder in the bathroom, the worst is the shower and the sink and bath. Downstairs you just hear a faint high pitched noise but the loud one comes from upstairs, I think its because its so high pitched downstairs its out of range for human ear (just a guess) or it might be the echo back from the noise upstairs

did you turn the water back on yourself? have you tried to lower your stopcock down? did it start after the washer to the tap was changed has that could be the problem

Nath

Sponsored Links
The noise started right after or just after the works were done. Do you mean stop cocks in the toilets? I could try that, there are 2 loos one upstairs one downstairs.

I will have to get the washer looked at as I wont be able to do that myself, I don't think anyway. I have noticed I have 2 stop taps, one which turns the hot tap off and one which turns the cold tap off at the mixer tap, I was surprised at that I thought only one of them would be needed

Is it easy to check the washer can it be done from top of sink so long as the water is off? what could be wrong could the washer be too big or not fitted properly or something?

A 'scream' from a tap or stopcock can be the tap jumper is loose & spinning around inside the tap ???????

A 'scream' from a tap or stopcock can be the tap jumper is loose & spinning around inside the tap ???????

If I do find a way of getting into the tap to check the washer and tap jumper would I need a socket set type of spanner as I only have basic tools and they arent brilliant

did you turn the water back on yourself? have you tried to lower your stopcock down? did it start after the washer to the tap was changed has that could be the problem

Nath

When you said lower the stop cock I thought you meant the stop cocks in the toilet cystern but do you mean close the main stop cock while the tap is running to see if the noise goes?

noise's in plumbing systems can ' telephone' around a property , tap u would need a spanner , depends also on tap type some taps do not have conventional 'jumpers' in , quarter turn taps for instance , if it is a loose jumper I would suspect a stopcock ????

Is the pump the expansion tank? The boiler is a vailant ecotech plus 824

I thought it was called an expansion tank that had to be repressurised, thats the kind of tank I was thinking of. I wasnt sure if it was part of the pump as the man had worked on it.

I'll have to get these things checked out anyway, from what I've read here it could it could be any of them but I'm wondering if its going to be the washer, stopcock or jumper because the juddering and vibration is so bad when it happens so somethings got to be banging it but the squealing is all the time when taps or shower are used. Or it could even be a combination of the things mentioned in this thread. So long as my house isnt going to blow up before it gets fixed :)

In case the jumper is loose can I get the top off the tap and just tighten it up with a screwdriver or spanner? and as its just the hot tap thats the problem I wont have to do the cold side will I? its a mixer tap with separate main stop taps for hot and cold. Its so confusing being like that, I used to have just one main stop tap for the whole house but a plumber messed it up a few years ago and made what used to be the outside tap stop tap into the cold water main stop tap by mistake. He then had to make a new stop tap for the outside tap

Put a bit more water in where you top up your central heating system while runing your heating, fill up the system very slowly ie. turn the filling point very little and watch gauge also, it might knock the air out of your pump to a higher point, only fill up to 1 and a half BAR or just over:idea: .

And as for your other noise it sounds like you have a loose jumper or worn washer and it is making this noise as now you are on mains it can't take the pressure, :LOL: it needs changing.

It isn't dangerous but you might get a little fed up if it carries on. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back