Combi boiler, pressure dropping slowly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a new property 4 months ago, which is heated by way of normal radiators in the old part of the house and underfloor heating in the new extension.

These are fed from a standard gas combi boiler.

T the end of last year, i had to top up the combi boiler (up to 1.5 bar) as the pressure was around 0.7 bar.

Over a period of about 3 months since I topped it up. It seems to have dropped to around 1.2 bar.

There are no obvious leaks, no wetness or stains by the radiators etc.

Is this something I need to be worried about?

Sponsored Links
Not overly, keep an eye out for wet patches but it may be under first floor floorboards so you'll never find it.

Something that small isn't anything to worry about.

Try inserting some Fernox Leak Sealer into your system. May work on something that small.

Not overly, keep an eye out for wet patches but it may be under first floor floorboards so you'll never find it.

Something that small isn't anything to worry about.

Try inserting some Fernox Leak Sealer into your system. May work on something that small.

Thanks, where would you insert this? Is this something I could do myself, or need a plumber?

Cheers

Drain your higest radiator... remove the blanking cap at the top of the radiator... not the bleed valve.

Buy a dosing kit and insert... seal the system, repressurise... bobs your uncle, fanny... is a naughty word.

Sponsored Links
Lots of combis lose pressure over a period of time.
This is usually down to the 'air' side of the expansion vessel.
The expansion vessel is pre charged with air to about 0.8 bar, so it does not contain any water (or very little) before the heating is on.
The excess water produced by expansion when heating is on pushes against the diaphragm and compresses the air, which produces a increase in pressure.
If the air capacity of the vessel is reduced too far, then pressure rises higher and opens the Pressure Relief Valve which discharges water out through tthe discharge pipe.
Your boiler may not yet have reached that stage, but if the vessel has taken in some water, it would explain why you can't find a leak.
Expansion vessels need to be large enough to deal with the volume of water in the system. If you have added additional volume by way of more radiators or pipe work, it raises the question whether the existing expansion vessel is still large enough.
Expansion vessels can be re charged using a pump, but it's important that any water in the vessel is removed during the procedure.

Lots of combis lose pressure over a period of time.
This is usually down to the 'air' side of the expansion vessel.
The expansion vessel is pre charged with air to about 0.8 bar, so it does not contain any water (or very little) before the heating is on.
The excess water produced by expansion when heating is on pushes against the diaphragm and compresses the air, which produces a increase in pressure.
If the air capacity of the vessel is reduced too far, then pressure rises higher and opens the Pressure Relief Valve which discharges water out through tthe discharge pipe.
Your boiler may not yet have reached that stage, but if the vessel has taken in some water, it would explain why you can't find a leak.
Expansion vessels need to be large enough to deal with the volume of water in the system. If you have added additional volume by way of more radiators or pipe work, it raises the question whether the existing expansion vessel is still large enough.
Expansion vessels can be re charged using a pump, but it's important that any water in the vessel is removed during the procedure.

I have noticed some copper coloured discharge on the floor directly under the pressure release valve. Not very much, but looks like its released at some point over the last few weeks. Could this be related/ a symptom?

Well it could be related. If the PRV has opened due to pressure reaching 3 bar, on the other hand, engineer may have opened it during service.
Problem also is that when opened and closed, the valves get dirt on the valve seat and don't close properly so allowing a small leak.
Two things worth doing. Take note of the pressure rise when using the heating, ideally it should be about 1 bar. Also does it get anywhere near the 3 bar needed to open the PRV?.
If you secure a plastic bag on the discharge pipe you may find evidence of a leak.
The amount of pressure loss in your case is very little compared with others, I would not bother topping it up from 1.2 bar. The higher the pressure the more the leak.
There may be a low pressure which prevents the boiler from lighting, but if it operates ok say from 1 bar rising up to 2 bar, then I don't see any harm.

Well it could be related. If the PRV has opened due to pressure reaching 3 bar, on the other hand, engineer may have opened it during service.
Problem also is that when opened and closed, the valves get dirt on the valve seat and don't close properly so allowing a small leak.
Two things worth doing. Take note of the pressure rise when using the heating, ideally it should be about 1 bar. Also does it get anywhere near the 3 bar needed to open the PRV?.
If you secure a plastic bag on the discharge pipe you may find evidence of a leak.
The amount of pressure loss in your case is very little compared with others, I would not bother topping it up from 1.2 bar. The higher the pressure the more the leak.
There may be a low pressure which prevents the boiler from lighting, but if it operates ok say from 1 bar rising up to 2 bar, then I don't see any harm.

It only rises a bit when the heating is on I think, maybe 0.2 bar, but most of our heating is the underfloor heating. It seems to rise most when heating water, ie when the shower is on, then it rises about 0.6 -0.8.

I've never seen it above 2 bar.

It is simple to say that you have a leak on the combination boiler or the central heating system. Personally what I would do is look for a leak as can be seen visible, it may be useful to check the pressure release pipe that goes from the boiler to the outside but you MUST not place a cap on it as this will become a safety hazard. If your unable to find the leak visible the I would advice you call an emergency plumber that is gas safe registered.

Welcome to the forum from across the pond, a word of advice tho ... worthwhile checking the date of the post and the OP that posted it. This thread is 6 years old and the OP hasn't been on since then so has probably sorted the problem by now (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back