Cooker switches off as soon as grill or oven used.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just phoned to say that his Zanussi oven ( around 5 years old) is switching off as soon as he turns on the oven or grill. It's ok when you just switch on the light part of the oven.

He has said that he switched it off at the socket, took apart the plug to look at it and check the fuse, put it back together without changing fuse and it seems to be working at the moment.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the socket it is plugged into is starting to fail & the plug pins are not making a a good connection inside the socket. A new socket top would be my first step.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. Shall look into that first if it continues to be a problem.

I suspect that a loose connection has, over time, overheated and is now burned away to a whisker. It might be in the plug or the socket or the consumer unit. If there is a junction box that may well be where the fault is.

If the socket is on a ring, it is more likely in the socket, especially if the plug is a factory fitted one and the cable connection at the oven is a factory fitted block.

When you say "oven" and that it is on a plug, I presume it is a single built-in oven, not a cooker or a double oven.

I suspect that a loose connection has, over time, overheated and is now burned away to a whisker. It might be in the plug or the socket or the consumer unit. If there is a junction box that may well be where the fault is.

Socket has a separate circuit breaker in fuse box.

If the socket is on a ring, it is more likely in the socket, especially if the plug is a factory fitted one and the cable connection at the oven is a factory fitted block.

My son said he opened the plug to check the wiring and fuse so I assume it's not a factory fitted plug as they are usually moulded. He said wiring looked fine and did not change the fuse. When switched back on the grill worked and he was able to cook his sausages.

When you say "oven" and that it is on a plug, I presume it is a single built-in oven, not a cooker or a double oven.

It's a single built-in oven which has oven and grill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back