surface mounted cable for consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run a cable from the consumer unit for the cooker and therefore is it permissible to run a surface mounted cable into the top of the consumer unit. I have read something about IP4x in connection with entry holes into electrical fixings and would this be breached by knocking out one of the entry holes on the top of the consumer unit?

The cable will be 6mm2 with a run of around 7m up the wall of the consumer unit cupboard (surface mounted) through the space between the floor boards and ceiling and then down into the kitchen were it will be chased into the wall.

I am aware that this is notifiable.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
It would be best to try and file out the hole such that it is barely any larger than the cable. If this can't be achieved, simply fill the hole with a little caulk or something similar. IP4X requires protection against solid objects over 1mm in diameter.

It would be best to try and file out the hole such that it is barely any larger than the cable. If this can't be achieved, simply fill the hole with a little caulk or something similar. IP4X requires protection against solid objects over 1mm in diameter.

Thanks for the quick reply

You could try notching the wall at the top of the consumer unit so the cable will enter the back of the consumer unit. This way you will not have to make a hole in the top of the consumer unit.

Alternatively, using trunking or similar may solve the problem.

Sounds like this new circuit may require RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
I agree about trying for rear entry (steady.....), but if you are determined to go in through the top get a blind grommet for the hole, cut a slit in it, and push the cable through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back