Cutting a roof tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started to tile my extension on the side of my house the back of the roof runs continuous with my existing roof but the extension is not the full length of the house so falls short of the peak i take it it is normal practice to cut the tiles to still follow the same line as my roof on the last row at the peak.Do i cut the top off the tile and then re drill the nail hole?
Tiles are marley mendips.
Cheers for any adive Steve

Sponsored Links
No you don't.

What you need to do is leave the tile uncut or else you will lose the seat nibs or the batten nibs, (bottom and top).

Because your gauge is already dictated to by the existing roof, means you will have to allow the final course to severely overlap the penultimate course.

This may also mean double lathing the final course depending upon the severity of the lap.

I did think you would loose the top nib and the tile would just slide off the roof if cut but i thought there must be a way its done and now i know.Many Thanks NOSEALL

Sponsored Links
You just carry on the tiles onto the final lathe sliding the start tile down out of line with existing but onto the new lath.

As i said earlier this may mean double lathing the top lathe because of the unusual angles, in order for the nibs to catch.

Don't forget to add some under cloak to the damaged part on the existing roof.

datarebal

Thats what i think i'll have to do
I still need the nib on the front of the tile to stop any driving rain,so i was going to cut the top of tile and re-drill 2 holes and nail then my ridge tiles fit over.

Would you screw them instead of nailing?
Cheers Steve

I tend to screw this type of cut, but nailing is fine. I use screws to make sure I dont miss hit the nail and crack the cut tile!!
You will need to use a slightly thicker batten under the cut tile to hold it in the correct plain... Or maybe pack it up with some thin lathe..

All straight forward stuff.

Cheers mate screwing it is i thought it was a no no on roofs but as ridge tile's are covering they would have to come off in anyway if there was a problem with final top row of tiles in the future,cheers mate Steve

We use Data's method too but only with highly visible low traffic situations as it does leave the tile rather weak.

we use it all the time because it looks best by along way, and if drilled before they are cut then still plenty strong enough.

Looks wise i agree. Newer, hot off the press tiles seem to drill easier than older (more brittle) tiles too.

In the past, lets say where you are tiling a front canopy roof that wraps around over a side garage, we have cut and drilled the final course of the canopy tiles only for them to break when dressing the lead down.

As you say though it does look better and there is minimal risk when the cut is below the ridge tile.

I know the problem obviously.. simply hang a few full tiles in place, dress the lead more or less into postion, carefully lift it up so as not to mess it up. Replace full tiles with the cuts.. gently final dress the flashing..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back