32" LCD TV constant flickering screen, any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all :)

I've got a 32" LCD TV, and I switched it on a few weeks ago and the screen constantly flickers between a full black screen and the normal image, about 4 times per second. Their is still sound, but every time it flickers there is a slight "popping" sound.

It used to do this occasionally when first turning on, but would then sort itself out within about 10 seconds. Sometimes it did it when switching to HDMI aswell and the TV would just freeze up, but after switching it off and on at the mains it was fine.

I can get parts for it, and am confident in changing them, but don't want to go and buy the wrong thing! I guessed it was the power board, but that's coming from an absolute novice so it really is just a guess.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Check for swollen electrolytic capacitors in the power supply on the secondary side.

Thanks for replying. I plugged it in earlier and the screen kept flashing like before, but then after about 30 seconds it stopped. After another few minutes it started again, and then I saw smoke coming out the back so unplugged it.

I've taken the back off and looking at the power board everything looks okay, but I could be missing something.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't say what make it is but could be a bad connection on the Inverter pcb. Some sets have a Master and Slave set up with two boards. It could be a small surface mount IC burnt or one of the chokes with a burnt pin. Either way, you will have to get a new panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back