Composite and Scart Adaptors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have bit or a conundrum.

I have a sky box, and a small dvd/lcd unit I want to use in my caravan.

I have made up the correct AV input lead, because its non-standard.
the lead will output the AV to a fullsize TV, and will receive composite from my DVD player and PC from a proper composite out.

Using a scart-composite adaptor from the sky box, it will not accept the input, using the same adaptor to a fullsize TV however the box is fine.

is the scart composite likly to be naff, or is the signal combined with somthing else, I haven't yet opened up the adaptor to check the pinout...

Sponsored Links
Check if your Sky box is set to RGB rather than PAL. It's one or the other, but not both with a Sky box. The change is made by following the System Settings > Picture Settings menu trail. Don't forget to Confirm the change so the box stores the new setting.

My DVD will only receive sky if sky is selected after it is turned on. Any power cut and on power up it will not work. Press select button and go around in circle and it all works.

As to why I don't know just know it does. And SCART outlets for Sky box are not both the same. I have swapped and changed cables and found one DVD player will only work with one sky SCART plug.

TV is no better although I know problem here. One SCART has in and out the other just in and some items don't like the SCART with output. It is designed so one can record Freeview but it seems to cause ghost images with some equipment.

Seems only way is to try it.

I wonder if the sky box is looking for a load on the connection and the input on the small monitor is HI-Z

Try adding a 75 ohm resistor (or therabouts) resistor across the composite video output. If my hunch is right this should solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
thanks, will try that, I have a feeling you may be right, after changing the sky output to PAL from RGB, I now get an intermittant picture (it like output switching on/off)

The scart adaptor if one of those scart to phono adaptors, the dvd unit having a 4pole 3.5mm jack input for the A/V I/O

when you say across, do you mean across composite and ground, or in series with the composite signal??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back