Flood Light tripping fuse box - Help Please!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have just replace an old Flood light in the garden.
The old one had never work since moving in and look older than the house.

I have replaced it with a like for like (500w PIR Security light). The old one was fitted to a Plug with a 13amp fuse which was pluged in via a socket in a bedroom (On the ring main).

When i turn it on the main fuse for all the sockets tripped, i check the fuse in the plug which i have change to a 3amp and replace the wire just in case as it look old.

So now i have an 500watt pir light on a 3amp plug but it still trips any ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Any moisture inside the light fitting? It must be either faulty light or faulty wiring.

Just to confirm - Brown=live, blue=neutral, green/yellow=earth.

Thx for the quick reply, light and wiring are all good!!!

I know it being on a plug ain't the best idea but as i only be using it a few time a year for bbq ect would it b ok on a 3amp plug?

Sponsored Links
If you remove the light from the end of the cable (making the ends safe), and plug it in, does it still trip?

If you remove the light from the end of the cable (making the ends safe), and plug it in, does it still trip?

I have just try this, and it did'nt trip been back to b&q swap the cheap **** one for a better one prob sorted.

Thank all for ya help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or far more likely you put the earth in the wrong hole in the fitting and were creating a N-E or L-E short when the PIR switched on ( as it does at start up for 30 seconds or so.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back