WBP plyboard over chipboard floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be tiling my bathroom floor in the next coming week. The floor what is down now is those 8 x 2 18m chipboard floorboards. I have opted to go over with 12 mm WBP plyboard. Just want to know the best way to fix and seal the board. I was going to screw the boards down the silicone over the joints after any advice any a better solution. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seal the back & edges with an SBR sealer (not PVA) DO NOT seal the tile surface with anything & always check the tile adhesive manufacturers recommendations before using any primer/sealer. I wouldn’t use silicone, it’s not necessary & not much sticks to it including tile adhesive. Screw though into the joists (check location of pipes/cables first) every 150mm & not just into the chipboard. Crapboard is so unsuitable as a base IMO, I would rip it up & replace with 18mm-25mm WBP (depending on floor construction/span) to guarantee success; also avoids silly threshold heights.

Use only quality trade flexible adhesive & grout not cheap DIY stuff.

Thanks for reply. Already ordered material. Do you think if done properly in this way it would last a long time though. I understand completely about the height threshold. Whats the best thing to get here the next room would be carpet. Are there any good carpet to tiles dividers what you reccommend ?

There are quite a lot of transistion strips available. Genesis and homelux supply the best range...although Dural aren't bad.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Already ordered material. Do you think if done properly in this way it would last a long time though. I understand completely about the height threshold. Whats the best thing to get here the next room would be carpet. Are there any good carpet to tiles dividers what you reccommend ?

It'll last for decades if you follow what Richard just said.

Thanks for advice. Whats a good SBR sealent finding alot of stuff not to do with this on google ?

Thanks. Would it be sensible to go over the whole of the crapboard floor with a sbr sealer before screwing the plyboard on to just as a extra precaution ?

I only ever buy quality branded adhesive & grout products, especially for use on suspended floors; you tend to get what you pay for with this stuff. It may be OK, I've no idea but, personally, I would not risk saving a few quid on a failure & being back to square one as it works out a whole lot more expensive in the long run.

Yes I agree I am going to go with a branded adhesive but still same does that plyboard overlay mean plyboard floor ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back