DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Brick Shed/Outhouse

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmk1984

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote

My wife and I are currently looking to clear some space in our 3rd bedroom by moving our gym equipment into the brick shed to the side of the house. I could easily clear the shed and lay an old carpet on top of the concrete, but the plan is to use the equipment year round. It can get cold during the winter as the shed is a single layer of bricks with big gaps around the door. Its only electricity supply is via a board mounted with a socket and a light fitting with a cable that runs overhead through the frame of the kitchen window and plugs into the socket in there! I'm not even sure if this works anymore as it looks a bit dodgy so I've left it well alone so far.

Iíd like to tidy it up a bit so that it is useable. Ideally just seal gaps so that we donít have drafts, possibly get a decent light fitting and socket put in so that during the winter I can plug a heater in and have some light and the radio. I will probably also need to fit a new door. Is it even possible to get an electrical supply put into an outhouse?

A lot of people in the street have incorporated this building in to their kitchen, but because of the strange extension that was added in the 70ís this isnít really possible without some significant changes and a new kitchen which we are not considering at the moment, but might in the future, so I donít want to spend too much if possible.

I suppose I should mention that the shed is about 3m x 1.7m and sits a gate's width away from the kitchen window.

If anyone could offer any advice or a plan of action it would be very welcome. I will be doing any work myself other than any electrical work, and it might be that I have to make a number of compromises, but Iíd like to get the best result I can. Thanks in advance.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
PrenticeBoyofDerry

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote

With it being single skin brickwork, you main problems would be cold walls and damp, this could mean any heating over the winter/colder months could be wasted.
You could consider a plasterboarded stud wall, with insulation installed in the stud or fixing thermaline boards.
But that will cost money and time.

The electric will need to be signed off as it will come under part p of building regs, so a wise choice would be using a registered electrician(member of a domestic installers, scheme provider)
The following user says thank you to PrenticeBoyofDerry for this useful post:
danmk1984 (11 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
danmk1984

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Thank you I will consider the costs involved in thermaline boards.

I can see the roof also causing a problem, from what I can see it is concrete slabs with a render on the top (it's covered in Ivy at the moment so I don't have a clear view). There is no sign of any water leakage but does that mean that I would be able just to board the ceiling as well?
 Alert Moderators
PrenticeBoyofDerry

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Your best doing the ceiling too, as this will also be a cold area, this can be insulated a number ways again thermaline will do. But you will need to fix some joist to the ceiling area to carry the boards.
The following user says thank you to PrenticeBoyofDerry for this useful post:
danmk1984 (11 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: