Flood damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumbing related upstairs flood and the electrics got water into them, thus making RCD trip right out on every circuit.
I installed a new RCD to be on the safe side(drying out building), but still have two circuits that trip it when switched on.
These two circuits make a "crackle" in the CU when tried and trip main (only) RCD at same time.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Probably still got water in the circuit somewhere - you ideally need an electrician with a Megger (Insulation Resistance) tester to check the circuits.

Many years ago when working away my daughter over filled the bath. Weeks later on my return I found water inside the light bulb causing RCD to trip.
Anything warm when hit by cold water will suck water in as air contracts and even months latter may still contain water.
As already said it needs an insulation tester to check items and there is no real short cut

sorry but that's just not possible..
the light bulb is a glass envelope which is air tight.. no possible way that something that is air tight will suck in a liquid..
besides that, the water vapour would cause the fillament to burn out immediately..

Sponsored Links
At the last firm I worked at, we had a clear BC GLS lamp half full of water on show in our office.

It was removed by one of the firms electricians and was still working when it was removed.

I would not have beleived it if I hadn't seen it for my self. :eek:

Not just water that can get into a light bulb. :LOL:

fish-tank-light-bulb.jpg

Sorry, could not resist. :(

Water can sit in the bases of CFL's, and inside the outer glass envelope that the older ones used to have.

The one I saw in our office was very similar to the pic above (minus the fish etc of course) :LOL:

I'll ask one of the lads who still work there to take me a couple of photos of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back