what is classed as the 'original house' for PD rights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am having a conservatory built, and my understanding is that permitted development allows 3m depth from the rear of the 'original house'.

My question is this:- what is classed as the original house? The reason I ask is that at the rear of my house is a small flat roofed utility, which was built at the same time and is connected to the main house (its part of the kitchen). The attached picture illustrates this. So can I build upto 3m out from the rear of this utility or is it 3m from the rear of the main 2 storey house?

I'm not looking to build a 6m deep conservatory on my small terraced house (lol) but am looking to go slightly bigger than 3m because i want 3m of internal floor space so probably looking at around 3.6m external dimension.

(FYI the brick outbuilding on the right is being demolished. The flat roofed brick utility is on the left of the picture. It is definately original (same bricks and tied into the house walls).

Many thanks.
Dan

Sponsored Links
"The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so."

Dan, you have two original rear walls. You can build out a maximum of 3m off each wall. i.e. if you built an extension across the whole width of the house it would have to be stepped. The scenario you mentioned (the 3.6m) would not be permitted development.

Dan
I have asked about this same situation of my own LA and in the planning officer opinion the outbuilding did not constitute a principal rear wall.
Submit an application and see what they say, because the 3.6 will require consent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Is the 3m limit inclusive of any overhanging items like guttering or window cills for example, or does it relate to the external face of the brick dwarf wall?

Cheers
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back