wireless network question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have a pc running xp sp3 with a belkin g adaptor and a laptop running vista with atheros network card i am on virgin broadband and have a netgear wgr614.v9 router and i can access internet with pc wirelessly but can only access web on laptop via ethernet cable been trying to set up some sort of network but been unsuccessful as im a bit crap with computers i would love to beable to connect both at same time wirelessly as this would end arguments with the missus :LOL: and if poss beable to access each computer from the other but if thats asking too much then id be happy just to access get on web with each

sorry for the long post but i wanted to provide as much info as poss to hopefully get some help

so please help as i have been atit for hours and keep it as simple as poss :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Have you set up a wep or encryption key/password for the wireless? I had a similar problem with my initial set up, I use the router disc to set up a new passkey for my network and that did the trick. You can also with the disc print off the current network settings to get a print off of your current passkey.

You then want to go into the control panel of your laptop, network setting/connections, set up wireless network/add new wireless device then follow instructions with your network settings to hand.

If you open the VM Wireless Manager, there's an option there to change the password for your wireless network. If you want to use the lappy wirelessly, I think you have to allow the laptop to search for available networks. Once it has found yours make sure you enter the same password you have set on the VM wireless manager. Should then connect to the router.

hi thanks for the replies, i have managed to get the desktop connected ok and the only way i can get the laptop connected is by enabling other computers to connect to internet through desktop connection (is this correct?)

only other problem i am having is desktop is proper slow

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for the replies, i have managed to get the desktop connected ok and the only way i can get the laptop connected is by enabling other computers to connect to internet through desktop connection (is this correct?)

only other problem i am having is desktop is proper slow

Does the laptop connect with the desktop PC turned off ?

Sounds like the laptop is doing Internet Connection Sharing through the desktop PC. The laptop is capable of going direct to your router for it's own Internet connection........it's been a while is this still a problem ?

yes still a problem yes i agree it must be going through desktop as sometimes when laptop is on desktop goes so slow it almost stops and laptop freezes and i cant do anything, tried everything and only thing that will get it to work is by removing battery and rebooting

On desktop - Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. Do a right click against the wireless? network card then do Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Is box on attached pic selected ?

Assumed XP here.

View media item 21094

Sponsored Links
Back