Water leak took out circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

Lower ground floor victorian flat.
CH pipes buried in concrete floor throughout.
Electrical cables buried in concrete.

Had a spark round 3 weeks ago to fit a new 17th CU.
While final testing he said that the socket circuit was giving low readings (cant remember of what)
He suggested that damp might be an issue.

Tuned out it was a leak form the CH pipes in the floor.
So, circuit worked when CU installed (but not to spec).
Water level had obviously risen in floor and now circuit constantly tripping.

Found leak, have now repaired it. Floor was absolutely soaking.
Have been drying out the floor for a couple of weeks now.
Circuit still constantly tripping.

What are the chances that when the floor properly dries out the circuit will be OK?

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
CANNOT imagine that all the cable is actually buried in the concrete!!! There must be some form of service access.

Anyhow, the circuit may or may not recover, it is anyones guess. Were the 'low' readings for Insulation Resistance? These will be 'low' if there is water penetration, the simplest solution is to replace all the cables that are giving un acceptable readings and take steps to prevent and protect from future external influences!!

If water has managed to affect the IR of the circuit then there must be buried joints in the concrete. If these don't have any service access then you're more or less stuffed, I'm afraid. You might want to have your spark investigate all accessible parts of the circuit before you call it a day, as the water leak could just be coincidence.

Sponsored Links
My thoughts were there must be some sort of joint buried.
I am going to give the dehumidifier a go for a couple of weeks and hopefully it will dry out. If not, it's out with the kango.

Thanks for your thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back