Power tool batteries you can leave on charge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my cordless drill / screwdriver but the main thing that bugs me about them is that you have remember to put the battery on charge in advance of using it.. (I have an old Homebase own brand one and its almost an overnight charge to get it to full charge, and it loses its charge after a couple of days)

" Sorry Dear, I'll have to do those shelves tomorrow, when my drill is charged" ;)

Are there any makes of cordless tools that you can leave on charge permanantly, so they're ready to go at a moments notice?

TIA

Daryll.

Sponsored Links
I think you can leave them all on charge permanently. The charger won't overcharge them, it'll just keep them topped up.

Most modern power tools will hold charge quite happily, no need to leave them on the charger. Even if you forget and leave it flat charging is pretty quick. My Makita is takes about 20 mins.

I wouldnt leave them in the charger if they are Ni-Cd batteries they need looking after properly. You will kill them very quickly if not.

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks guys....

It looks like my best bet is to go for one that has a fast charger, so even if they are flat, it will soon charge...

I see Screwfix has an AEG one on offer at the moment...

..... but the main thing that bugs me about them is that you have remember to put the battery on charge in advance of using it...
That's why I prefer to keep a corded mains powered drill for DIY occasional use - Just plug it in and away you go!

Li-ion battery drills are marketed as holding their charge for months. Lots of drills, even DIY models such as bosch green are now supplied with li-ion batts. Worth the extra few quid IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back