Hotpoint washer tripping on spin cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hotpoint firstedition 8000

Mother reported a problem of burning last week and that the washer wasnt spinning anymore. Looked into this and the Brushes had worn right down. Replaced them both with genuine carbon brushes. Fired it up and worked a treat during the wash cycle but as soon as it started to rinse for the spin it trips the electrics which has never happened before.

Any ideas ? possible faulty motar ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
check that the spring that was in the old brushes has not got jammed in the motor , also clean the armiture poss carbon build up .

Cheers pal -
Take it thats a job to remove the motar totally. I got away with just putting the brushes in without removal and thought i was good lol.
Yer will try this, need to look into removal as i can only get to the first bolt.
Do i have to lay flat and get the other from the bottom?

Cheers

Motor is on top of machine only 2 bolts.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that ma man. removed the motar and a big chunk of carbon fell from it, must have snapped off from the old brushes i guess.
Still cant understand how this could cause a trip like? but anyway
Job sorted - mums happy

She works a treat, well does now after 3 hours ****ing about trying to get the belt right without it coming of hahhaha

Nothing straight as it seems

as the commutator is actually a switch of kinds, and not just a contact point, if a piece of carbon was touching across 2 points where it shouldn't have been then there is a possibilty this is what caused the trip as electricity would have travelled to parts of the winding it shouldnt have, and at the wrong time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back