lining paper over silk or satin paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to hang lining paper in my house over a wall painted with what I think is oil satin, but might be alkyd silk -- any thoughts on how to prep this surface for papering? Will a simple coat of sizing do? Does it need a sand and/or a "bridging primer" (such as a Zinsser)? Thanks

Sponsored Links
bit of a toughy without knowing exactly whats on the walls. you could thin down some oil based undercoat and give it a coat if its oil satin (eggshell)
if its just silk than a really good rub down to get a key and use a good heavy duty ready mixed wall paper paste.

Sponsored Links
The trick really is to get a good key on the surface as Nok says. If you going to use a ready mixed adhesive i will have to be thinned down quite a bit to get it on the lining paper, but will be stronger then a normal paste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back