Preparing for Plastering/Skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be good....

My 1920's bungalow is going to be plastered. Most walls are solid so I guess will just need a skim over. However, in places the wall feels hollow and if I tap that area the plaster falls away.

In order for the new plaster to last, and I want it to last a long long time!!! is it best just to knock out all these hollow spots completely OR (as my Dad wants to do....) take off all existing plaster right down to the breese blocks, as he says this way the plasterer will make a much better job?!?!

:confused: Karen

Sponsored Links
well your dads way should definatly by the way to go and guarantee the work to be good for a long long time (tradesman dependant).
The other way could be fine too, unless the old plaster is blown elsewhere or other bits blow out afterwards.

I am assuming you have black mortar rendering with a white top coat?
I dont think your house will be made of brreeze blocks either.

A complete knock off, is always best if time and cost allows.
You could well knock off the loose stuff and patch it, but you will be running the risk of the rest one day soon being in simular condition, and all the mess will start again.
So do it all.

I'd do the same, get it all off if at all possible - if the old stuff will come off without damaging brick/block work too much.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you have black mortar rendering with a white top coat?
I dont think your house will be made of brreeze blocks either.[/quote]

The plaster that is coming off is about 1/2" deep and beige coloured. The residue left on the grey 'breese' blocks (that's what they look like to me - the inner wall of the cavity wall) is just powdery and brushes away.

Sometimes the blocks get chipped away which worries me - is there a way around this? I don't won't to damage the walls before plastering?

Thanks for any help! Karen :)

Don't worry about minor damage to the blocks, (chips, small gouges etc), you can't avoid things like that. As long as you don't hammer too hard and damage the actual structure of the blocks themselves, (cracking/breaking them, loosening them etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back