Cleaning bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have around 400 reclaimed bricks that have a mixture of mortar, plaster, and paint on their surfaces. I've been removing some of the mortar and plaster mechanically with a small bolster chisel, but that tends to leave white deposits behind regardless of polishing it with the chisel.

Should I be using hydrochloric acid for this? I was also considering a powerdrill wire brush attachment, or a normal wire brush. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't wire brush them as this can disfigure the brick surface.
Take as much of the surface mortar and lime as you can using hammer and bolster chisel.
Then any remaining mortar/lime can be removed using a dilute hydrochloric acid.
The bricks most be wet down prior to treating with acid, to prevent surface absorption and the acid penetrating in to the brick.
I'll look for link to some info.
Think this may do.
http://www.brick.org.uk/_resources/Cleaning of Clay Brickwork.pdf

rub them with a harder brick. its how it used to be done in the old days and it works

Cheers guys.

One other thing - how nasty for the environment will the run-off be? I don't particularly want to contaminate any beds that the run off goes in to - by the time it's diluted by the rinse-off water, is this likely to be a problem - do I need to choose my location carefully?

Sponsored Links
It not very environmentally friendly and can cause corrosion too, and use hydrated lime as a soak up, it will neutralize the acid.

you could try soaking them overnight this will make getting the mortar off easier with a bolster - then clean up with a jet /power washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back