Snapped lug on socket back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appologies if this has been covered before.
There is a snapped lug on the back of a back box. It looks like it has sheared off (the part that the front screws go into.

What is best to do? It holds OK with one screw but I was wanting two in I was thinking of using some grab adhesive, letting it go off and then drilling a pilot hole so that it would hold the screw although this is a bodge it would be better than nothing!?

What's the best way to fix this?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
has it snapped of or is it a movable lug that's come out of it's clips?

as said, if it's the fized one then drill / tap a 3.5mm hole and either use long screws or screw an extension post into it.

It is adjustable and it has snapped so I will drill and tap a new hole in the back of the backbox. Not sure my tap set will go that small so best get on ebay!

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Before you do all that it'd be worth trying to lift the bits which hold the lug in place and replace it with one from another box. You've nothing to lose except the donor box - if it doesn't work you'll be no worse off.

A yellow rawlplug and a long M3.5 might be a lot less faffing about than trying to tap a hole in the box. You wouldn't get much of a thread in one anyway - the metal's a lot thinner than the lugs.

Have to say that I've drilled & tapped the back of the box a few times & it has been successful. But if it isn't, then you can enlarge the hole & put a rawlplug in. But as Col says, I would start with seeing if you can fix a new lug on from another box.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Ban, not Col.

No chance of swapping the box? If its metal and plastered round a bit of careful carving with a stanley knife should free it up, if its plastic and plastered over you can cut around it with a blade to free it up - if you can find the edge of the plastic bezel with luck you can do it neatly enough that the face plate will cover the cut. I've done this but some faceplates aren't quite large enough to cover the bezel, in which case your hacking will show.

Ok thanks for the ideas
ift the bits which hold the lug in place

I thought these are integral to the box and had sheared off?

If I use a rawlplug does this just plug in the back of the boxd i.e drill a hole in theback and insert the plug!?

Unfortunately the walls are all plaster with metal boxes I have a feeling they will make a right mess If I try and remove them!

I thought these are integral to the box and had sheared off?
Ah - I hadn't realised it was that part which had broken.

Often they are just little rectangular sections of box, cut away on 3 sides and bent back into place.

If I use a rawlplug does this just plug in the back of the boxd i.e drill a hole in theback and insert the plug!?
Goes into the wall behind the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back