Friend's electric Mira shower loosing pressure

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend reckons that his Mira electric shower is losing pressure because it is getting furred up with hard water.
I suggested he contact a plumber who can either service it or replace it with a new one. (Can it be worth it to descale a shower unit??) He won't listen to my advice and thinks he can pour descaler into it, the only thing stopping him is the fact that the inlet from the CW is on the underside.

When you lot have stopped laughing, perhaps you could advise.....

Thanks folks
Min

Sponsored Links
whether there is some way of descaling the unit or servicing it, or whether it must be replaced.

Try descaling/ replacing the shower head first. :D

If it is an old shower, buy a new one.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bahco, he's descaled the head (sorry for not mentioning it) so I'll tell him to get a new shower unit.

How does he know that the problem is in the shower? The words "keeps losing pressure" suggests something that comes and goes and that doesn't sound like scale buildup. Tell him to try turning on the kitchen cold tap and see what it does to the shower. If it causes the pressure loss he's getting then the problem lies in the mains supply somewhere upstream of both tap and shower.

Does the shower have a reduced power setting and a thermostat? If so then another possibility is intermittent loss of power to one of the heating elements. The thermostat will respond to this by reducing the flow.

Felix - it doesn't 'keep' losing power, it is losing power progressively as the weeks go by.

Kev - thanks, good to hear my suspcicions confirmed. I told him that the heat exchanger (if thats what you call it) wouldn't take too kindly to the rigours of descaling.[/quote]

some electric showers have a little gauze filter at the inlet pipe fitting. Might be worth checking this for debris. :?:

Sorry, I misread the original post. A progressive loss of flow means that something is slowly blocking up. It could be a filter like brumylad says. It could also be the shower head itself. Our conventional mixer shower needs its head cleaning out once or twice a year.

It could also be because the water mains is getting COLDER! So he has to turn the flow down to get the temperature up further than before.

Electric showers only piddle at about 4 litres/min so flow shouldn't be a problem. It's dead easy to check - if he turns the temp down does the flow rate go up???
Tell him it'll be better in the spring!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back