ohms resistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you work out what the ohms resistance should be on appliances kettle, electric fire ,hairdryer and motors etc thanks.

Sponsored Links
For heating elements, you can get some idea using ohms law, however this isn't perfect as the resistance changes when the element heats up.

For motors and most everything else, complete waste of time even trying.

Cardiy - wouldn't you be better off getting yourself onto some properly organised training rather than just asking random questions on a DIY site?

Ban this is a diy forum ,how do you know why i am asking the question ,if you dont like answering questions you dont have to,why are you such a negative person .There are so very helpful people who take time to answer peoples questions ,sadly you seemed not to be one of them .

Sponsored Links
Some of us dont have the time and money to do the training ,life is not as easy as that sometimes,why dont you take your frustrations elsewhere

I don't know why you're asking, but following the what you're asking paints a picture of someone trying to learn a subject, not a DIYer asking how to do a particular job.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with trying to learn, but it's precisely because I'm not negative that I said what I did - asking random questions here like How do you work out what the ohms resistance should be on appliances kettle, electric fire ,hairdryer and motors etc and Hi can any one explain what is 3 phase thanks,how it works is not an efficient way to go about it.

You proved that yourself:

On the 18th of March you asked this:
I have been reading that the old way of loop in out of roses is no longer used for new installs ,loop in and out at switch is now used for new installs.Why is this surely it is more of a pain and not much room for cables behind switches.
And then 3 days later you were back with this:
What is a two plate or three plate ceiling rose,what situations would you use the two different types thanks.

That's actually all one subject, 2 inter-related topics, but you are going about things in a very haphazard way.

Bas ,i am a diyer but some of the topics i have posted i had seen on other forums but were not fully explained unlike this site , i only asked some of the topics out of interest,dont worry i am not doing any illegal electric works.

there's no such thing as illegal electrics.. it's not against the law for you to do any electrical worn in your own home ( with the exception of the DNO's equipment, the meters and main fuse etc... ), but some of it is notifiable so that it gets checked by someone that you are doing it right..

without getting into the inductive reactance side of things, ohms law is pretty simple..

Voltage = Current x Resistance

and

Wattage = Voltage x Current..

so..
Wattage = (Current x Resistance) x Current
or
Wattage = Current² x Resistance

also
Wattage = Voltage x (Voltage / Resistance )

or
Wattage = Voltage²/Resistance

so
Resistance = Voltage²/Wattage ( is that right? I've confused myself.. )

so a 3000W kettle for example would be
R = 230X230

R = 17.633333 ohms....
but in reality somewhere around that is ok..

Hi coljack so if i have appliance at 16w or 18w how do i put that into the calculator 230x230 divided by?000.16

Hi coljack so if i have appliance at 16w or 18w how do i put that into the calculator 230x230 divided by?000.16

No, (230 x 230)/16, not 0.16.
Surely you don't need advice on how to operate a calculator?

This also all begs the question: why exactly would you want/need to know the resistances of your home appliances?

As above, the nice simple linear relationship between power, voltage and resistance can only be applied directly to a small selection of devices that present a purely resistive load. In general, only heating devices are purely resistive.
Ordinary tungsten filament lamps are heating devices - ones that get so hot they glow in the dark!

Any device containing an inductive or capacitive load, that includes anything containing a motor, a transformer or a switched mode power supply, cannot be described by a two dimensional relationship you can easily plot on a piece of graph paper. The maths starts getting more complicated, involving complex numbers (usually reprsented by 'i' or 'j'). Both are considered as at right angles to reality (and at right angles to each other) :confused:

The upshot of all that is testing most AC powered domestic devices with a DC multimeter will probably produce inconsistent results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back