Towerstat RF behaving oddly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 years ago we had our boiler replaced with a Vaillant Combi (can't remember the model number) and Towerstat RF thermostat. On the whole they seem to work fine together. However, yesterday I came home to discover the room temperature was 24C with the boiler still firing despite the thermostat being set with a daytime temperature of 21C and also "claiming" that the boiler was currently off. When I checked the receiver next to the boiler the green LED was lit, which I believe means the receiver thinks the boiler is on - In other words the receiver and thermostat were out of sync.

The last time I saw this discrepency between the RF thermostat and the receiver was last Winter (2009) and I traced the problem to a low battery in the thermostat. However, this time round the battery level is ok (~50%).

Also, the thermostat is <10m away from the boiler (albeit there are a couple of walls inbetween) so I would have though the radio signal wouldn't get jammed.

What I don't understand is why the two devices don't "handshake"; i.e. so that the thermostat sends a signal "turn off boiler" and then waits for an *acknowledgement* from the receiver to say "this has been done".

Has anyone else encountered this problem or am I missing something obvious?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back