gas fire failed :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Just had our gas fires tested, unfortunately one fire failed. When a smoke bomb was let off in the fireplace it filled the room with smoke. However when the fire was fitted a couple of years ago this did not happen. The only thing that has changed since then is that a cowling was fitted on the chimney top (to stop birds nesting in it)
The gas tester recommended fitting a flue to the chimney to rectify the problem... a great expense.
Is this definately required?? is it maybe the fault of the cowl on the chimney top???
any advise would be appreciated,
cheers
oddball

Sponsored Links
Is it a cowl that is approved for a gas fire?

Cheers for the swift reply
It is a cowl made of pot with holes in... it was mentioned that it's not meant to be used these days. Would that cause the problem?
regards

Sounds like a stopper pot . Clay with circular holes around the edge.
If so its an immediate cut off even if the flue pulls.
Get it removed

Sponsored Links
that sounds like the one.
so if i remove the cowl should that rectify the smoke bomb problem????

The purpose of the stopper pot, or pepper pot as it is known in my neck of the woods is to cover unused chimneys to prevent rain ingress and yet to provide air flow for ventilation to prevent dampness...... Not for gas, never and not ever..

Yes get it removed and flue should work without any need for flue work .. So i would not use that guy again to reconnect it.

okay i'll get it taken off asap. :oops:
does anyone think this will rectify the problem once it's removed,ie. will the smoke from a smoke bomb go up my chimney rather than filling my front room??
cheers

take the stopper off and fit a crow guard with rain diverter
was he a gas safe eng
did he disconnect the fire
did he blank gas supply to fire
then get a gas safe eng out to perform a flue test and spillage test on fire
mi's instructions should have detailed what sort of flue liner to be used
as the dimensions

He was a plumbing and heater engineer, corgi reg.
Yes he did disconnect the fire and tap it off (blank)
i'll get the cowling removed and try the smoke bomb again.
cheers for advise
oddball

Corgi registered? Are you sure he was Corgi and not Gas Safe? If he was claiming to be Corgi then he's working illegally, Corgi stopped being in charge of gas work last April, Gas Safe are the approved registration scheme now

BES do a suitable guard £21.10 item 12259 brewer birdguard,
fits most standard pots 150 - 250mm easy to fit as well

BES 0800 80 10 90
fax 0800 28 11 88

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back