soil pipe angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

hi, i'm blocking up a doorway & putting in a toilet ,could someone please tell me how i must run 4" soil pipe,
in the picture i have used black tape to mark where pipe should come out from w.c.
i also marked c.i.pipe where i will be cutting it & using timesavers to fit a branch, distance from toilet to c.i.pipe is 5ft

Sponsored Links
As u have more drop than the angle of the branch would allow for you to terminate into a swept 90 half burried in the wall, I would put a 135 close to the 90 coming out of the wall to get it right. So you put your fall which is greater than self clensing velocity fall at the start of the run, then run at scv which is 1 in 40 to 1 in 80 to the branch.

paul, thanks for the information for the pipework,but as i'm no plumber i'm a bit confused as to exactly what you mean, i thought i could just put a branch then a suitable angle fitting at c.i.pipe run it right to w.c. but that would have quite a slope to it,
so could you please give me more details of what you meant,

Sponsored Links
Thank you tamz.

OP the lengthy runs should fall at ideally 1 in 40 but when there is plenty of water flushing up to 1 in 80 is allowed.

If the gradiant it greater then the solids don't clean the sides as they fly down too fast. If it is lower gradiant then they stick to the sides instead of falling down.

You start the run with a drop when the start hight and end hight mean you cannot achieve the correct gradiant from start to finish.. the drop sends it on it's way.

Don't forget you'll need Building Regs approval for the new loo & the new foul drain connection ;)

Be careful, you will not be able to branch into anything lower than 450mm from the long radius bend of that stack... Since that bend is underground its hard to tell if the point at where your stack will join will be more than 450mm.

Be careful, you will not be able to branch into anything lower than 450mm from the long radius bend of that stack... Since that bend is underground its hard to tell if the point at where your stack will join will be more than 450mm.
Unless if he lifts the monoblock and can kick the top of the drain it will be more than 450mm deep.
Bet it isn't a long radius bend below either ;)

FFS just do it as you thought right :idea: All this pedantry should be round Gas Safe etc. in the CC :rolleyes: . Sod the Building Control too :LOL: . IT`S a toilet not a bleedin` nuclear re processing plant

FFS just do it as you thought right :idea: All this pedantry should be round Gas Safe etc. in the CC :rolleyes: . s** the Building Control too :LOL: . IT`S a toilet not a bleedin` nuclear re processing plant
True, it’s just a bog; it aint rocket science & almost anyone can fit one after a fashion. I certainly don’t like our over legislated society & many BR’s are ill conceived & an illogical PITA but are mostly there for good reason. All I & others attempt to do is to be sure OP’s make an informed decision & you’re an informed & experienced enough contributor to know that. Many OP’s are completely unaware but, once they know the score, it’s really their decision if they want to adopt a totally cavalier attitude & risk any consequences that go with it. Being cavalier won’t produce the certificate of compliance your future purchasers solicitor is increasingly liable ask you for when you come to sell. ;)

neds ,i measured the pipe, from top joint to monoblock the straight part of the pipe is 480mm,does that mean i can't put a branch in there,
i have already applied for a building warrant with glasgow council, so it has to be right, if it is not acceptable i will just have to brick up the doorway & forget the toilet,

i measured the pipe, from top joint to monoblock the straight part of the pipe is 480mm,does that mean i can't put a branch in there

No that size is fine. You have more than enough room to get a timesaver in.

What neds was on about is the distance from the branch to the bend under the ground. I wouldn't worry about that one. It will be fine but if you are curious, after you cut the pipe for the branch stick a tape down and measure the distance to the bend below.

Tamz , just to get this right do you mean the distance measured from bottom of branch i will be fitting to underground bend ,measuring inside the pipe to where it bends

Tamz , just to get this right do you mean the distance measured from bottom of branch i will be fitting to underground bend ,measuring inside the pipe to where it bends

Aye. It should be 450mm min but i would wage a pound to a bucket of shyte yours is deeper so you won't need to worry.

tamz thanks,i'll keep in mind the 450mm rule when fitting the branch & timesavers, and fit it as high as possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back