Single Oven - Wiring Question / Advice Sort...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All

First of all I'm not an electrician and simply looking for general advice before I head out and seek a pro... I'm ok with general electrical bits and pieces but would prefer to leave anything major to a pro...

OK my issue - I have a single electric oven which packed up last week - When I removed the old oven to measure up for a new one I noticed the following wiring:

1. Electric Hob was wired directly into a spur outlet and connected to a separate circuit to the RCD labelled cooker (no issue so far)
2. The old oven is wired into a normal plug socket and further investigation found that this is wired into the normal socket ring main in the kitchen/flat...

Whilst the old oven was over 3KW in power the new one is a lot lower ie 2.2KW so my question is 3 fold - Is it ok that the original cooker was wired into the normal socket (flat was built c12 years ago)? If so is it ok that this socket is on the normal plug ring main vs separate cooker circuit? If both the above are OK can the new cooker be connected into the original socket once again?

Alternatively if any of the above are wrong, can another spur socket extension be connected to the original hob one (or the original one be replaced with a double one - if there is such a thing) so that both the cooker and Hob can are on the same ring?

Is the alternative option of replacing the plug socket method hard / complex / problematic?

I ask as I'm not flush with cash at the moment and want to understand what should be done and sound knowledgeable when I speak to an electrician so I don't get ripped off / overcharged - Both hob spur and cooker socket are easily accessible so trying to understand the time and cost should anything need to be changed...

Any help / advice gratefully received

Cheers

A

Sponsored Links
A 2.2kw oven will (should) already come with cable and 13A plug.
Insert plug into socket

Job done.

Your hob is on the separate "cooker" circuit because it has much higher power requirements and is not suitable for running off a 13A plug.

1. Electric Hob was wired directly into a spur outlet and connected to a separate circuit to the RCD labelled cooker
When you say "spur outlet", what do you mean? it sounds like it had its own circuit. If this is the case then a new hob may just connect up to your new point. This will depend on the size of the exisitng cable (what size is the fuse/MCB protecting this circuit) and the power of your new hob.

2. The old oven is wired into a normal plug socket and further investigation found that this is wired into the normal socket ring main in the kitchen/flat...
Again not a problem for a new oven to plug straight into the same socket outlet. If you didn't have problems beofre with nuisance tripping due to the oven on this circuit then you shouldn't have problems with a less powered oven.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back