Water leaking out from under the house - who do I ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas.....?

I live in a large Victorian house (built 1845) that has been converted into flats. We are in Forest Hill, a hilly part of SE London, UK – an area well known for water and subsidence problems.

This area in particular was an old lake that was a feeder lake for the Croydon canal. The lake and canal were drained in 1840 and converted to housing and a railway line.

In 1991 the house experienced subsidence and has subsequently been underpinned.

More recently we have noticed water around the house. At one side there is a constant pool of water right up against the house in the gravel drive.

In the last couple of weeks we have noticed water pooling at the front of the house. This is in a lower patio area in front of the two “basement flats”. When all water is scooped up, it becomes obvious that water is trickling out through the wall of the front of the house.

Normally water in this lower patio (from rain) would drain into a drain which takes the water underground into the front garden. But now this drain quickly fills up. The lower patio becomes submerged under about 10cm of water.

housedrainageproblem.jpg

I think there is a more fundamental problem of water leakage under and around the house. This could be from a spring, a broken pipe or perhaps even some sort of blocked drain.

The reason I write is…

what sort of person/company would deal with this to work out the problem and suggest a remedy?

There are plenty of drain unblockers in the phone book but I’m not sure they’re the people I should be speaking to.

Any help/pointers would be gratefully appreciated...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
built on a lake! lots of rain! water table rises! you live with it or move

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back