Looking for reliable 24kw boiler for open vent system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All you guys here were very halpful sorting out my Profile60E problems.
As I am now going for a replacement boiler, I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

I am looking for a 24KW for my open vent system. My main priority is reliability. I am also looking for stainless steel heatXchanger and have therefor ruled out Worcester. My short list is made up of Glow-worm, Viessmann and Vaillant. I know there are other makes like Baxi but I am not very sure about it.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
All you guys here were very helpful sorting out my Profile60E problems.

I am looking for a 24KW for my open vent system.
Why do you need a 24kW boiler? The Profile 60E may have an input of 23kW, but it's output is only 17.5kW, so the largest boiler you will need is an 18kW.

In any case, if you are relying on the existing boiler to determine the size of the new one, you will probably install too big a boiler. That's because there was a tendency 20 years ago, when gas was cheap, to put in the biggest boiler to make sure the customer wouldn't complain.

Use either Sedbuk Boiler Calculator or EST online boiler calculator to calculate the size boiler you really need.

For info

Length and Width are internal dimensions
Room Height is floor to ceiling
A mid-terrace house has two external walls
A semi/end terrace has three external walls
A detached has four external walls

Why do you want to replace a 60000btu (approx 18kW) with a 24kW (approx 82000 btu).

Worcester, Vaillant and Viessmann heat exchangers are warranted for 10 yrs, thats 9 years longer than your Profile.

I haven't seen a failed Worcester HE but if you have artificially softened water this is a no-no.

Both the Glowworm and Vaillant use the same Gianonni heat exchangers, made in France. I believe some Baxis use it too.

Personally, for a small open vent I wouldn't fit the Vaillant Group products, they are all UK designed by Glowworm. Larger Vaillant sealed system boilers are a different design from Germany.

I would have the Worcester, or maybe the Viessmann Compact.

Sponsored Links
Johnson & Starley Reno heat only boiler's , come with stainless steel heat exc's , decent company to deal with !!

WARNING!! Edited 27th feb 2011

The Johnson & Starley Reno boiler has proven to be the most unreliable boiler we have ever installed a total disgrace really !

My apoogys to all :oops:

The present 18KW Profile was undersized to start with. After the garage conversion it has become necessary to fit something bigger. I was in favour of a Vaillant (28kw) but I was told that the present 22mm pipework will need to be up-sized to 28mm (between the boiler and the pump).
From what I have read so far, the Heat Only Vaillants are not clever.

Viessmann is looking quite good now.

I may have spoken too soon in favour of a Viessmann. Reading older threads about their boilers makes me want to eat my own words.

Not a single word of praise. Some of their installers have stopped using them all together.

I may have spoken too soon in favour of a Viessmann. Reading older threads about their boilers makes me want to eat my own words.

Not a single word of praise. Some of their installers have stopped using them all together.

my opo uses veissmann all the time and has no problems with them, they went through a bad spell a couple of years ago (& mud sticks!) I use Vaillant 400 series and again no real issues (reset the CO/CO2 ratio to 8.1) and they run nicely so long as the system is power flushed properly.

if it was a two horse race between a new Icos and keeping my old potty, i know what i'd choose!

Whatever you go for, stay well clear of an Icos

The present 18KW Profile was undersized to start with. After the garage conversion it has become necessary to fit something bigger.
All the more reason for using one of the whole house calculators I mentioned earlier.

I was in favour of a Vaillant (28kw) but I was told that the present 22mm pipework will need to be up-sized to 28mm (between the boiler and the pump).

Thats nonsense. Probably an "old school" plumber told you that.

I am looking for a 24KW for my open vent system. My main priority is reliability. I am also looking for stainless steel heatXchanger and have therefor ruled out Worcester. My short list is made up of Glow-worm, Viessmann and Vaillant. I know there are other makes like Baxi but I am not very sure about it.

Please help.

Have fitted in excess of 100 of the heat only without a single fault (tempting fate now :eek: )

http://www.avantarange.com/heating_boilers.html

As advised use the whole house calculator first to ascertain what size you require.

5 year parts and labour warantee (dependant upon installer)

Johnson & Starley Reno heat only boiler's , come with stainless steel heat exc's , decent company to deal with !!

Who stocks these transam, they look good. What sort of poppy are you paying??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back