Wiring an In-Line Extractor fan HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am no stranger when it comes to electronics and/or electrical work; I am astute and competent enough to carrying out a majority of electrical work. Although, on this occasion this one has the better of me and I cannot for the life of me work it out. I think it’s because the wiring diagram is, well to me it’s laid out in what one could say a slightly complicated way.

I assumed, and I know assumption is the mother of all c***-ups, that all I needed to do was as follows below.

1. Wire from a 5amp (under 17th IEE Regulation is now 10amp) lighting from the bathroom light.
2. Spur from the bathroom ring main to a 5 or 10amp junction box.
3. Connect the live and natural from the fan to the junction box.
4. Connect a switch live return from the junction box to either pull cord or light switch.*

* I say a light switch because what I was thinking of doing is put a double light switch outside the bathroom, light switch on one side and fan the other. I say outside, is because I live in a bungalow and a pull cord over a period of time just break or become none responsive. We are all adult here at home so there will be no wet fingers on the light switch outside the bathroom, basic common sense really.

I have added the make a model of the fan within this post and the wiring diagram and you can see why and how I have become a little perplexed so to speak. Can some kind person look at the wiring diagram and advise on the best way. I have distorted some of the diagram because it has nothing to do with the fan or model I have. I would say N# 16 Max by looking at the wiring it kind of makes sense. If you want to read the full manuals then I have added this as well.

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction and appreciate your help and support.

Thanks in advance.

WireDiag_Terminal_Connections.jpg

WireDiag_Designations.jpg

WireDiag_Connection_Without_Timer.jpg

WireDiag_Connection_With_Timer.jpg

User guide can can be found here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gatesie//files/PDF/tt_user.pdf

Sponsored Links
Do you want the fan as and when you like?

It says in the instructions the fan is designed for constant low speed use, with a switch to raise the speed when required.

If you want it as and when, give it a switched live (from your switch outside the room) and neutral, fit a link between L, LT and L2.

all I needed to do was as follows below.

1. Wire from a 5amp (under 17th IEE Regulation is now 10amp) lighting from the bathroom light.
2. Spur from the bathroom ring main to a 5 or 10amp junction box.
3. Connect the live and natural from the fan to the junction box.
4. Connect a switch live return from the junction box to either pull cord or light switch.*

Some comments
1. now 10amp? whats this? The lighting circuit will have a protective device in the consumer unit. The rating of this will be determined by the size of the cable, not the issue of the regulations.

2. It isn't a spur. Lighting circuits are not ring finals. They are radial circuits.

3. You mean neutral, I think.

4. Yes!

You have a few more steps that you have forgotten:

Before you do anything you must contact your local authority and inform them that you are going to be carrying out DIY electrical works in a bathroom. See WIKI for Building Regulations Part P
information.

You have not mentioned the fan isolator switch. See WIKI re fitting a fan.

You will need to protect all circuits in your bathroom with a 30mA RCD (probably only the lighting circuit).

If needed you will need to upgrade your main bonding conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back