leaking valves at Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really find it astonisihing how many water leaks a 3 year old house can get!

Anyway, another one to add to my list... I seem to be getting drips of water from the two valves shown at my boiler. not wanting to jump right in and turn anything... what do i do? simply turn them clockwise and attempt to toghten or something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately they'll probably both need replacing, once they start leaking there's not really an effective repair. The one on the right however is partially closed for some peculiar reason and should be in the same orientation as the left one. If thats your only problem with this boiler then feel yourself lucky :D
If it were me I'd get an insurance cover with Ideal, it will probably pay for itself.

Unfortunately they'll probably both need replacing, once they start leaking there's not really an effective repair. The one on the right however is partially closed for some peculiar reason and should be in the same orientation as the left one. If thats your only problem with this boiler then feel yourself lucky :D
If it were me I'd get an insurance cover with Ideal, it will probably pay for itself.

Too right. Why is one of them half shut?

Replace the iso valves and while you at it, throw that boiler in the bin.

David.

Ah!

So if i were to take our boiler cover with Hydro LINK

Do you think they would replace these valves for free??

Did you know – a single boiler or central heating call out could cost you £370 **. But for £16.50 a month, that’s only £3.81 a week•, you’ll never have to worry about your home and your family being without heat or hot water for very long. You’ll get unlimited callouts, parts and labour† – and we’ll fix any problem with your boiler and full central heating system (including radiators, hot water and pipework) at no additional charge.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Those ball type valves fitted your Ideal boiler aren't the best.They are quarter turn valves and you may stop them leaking bytweaking them,but be prepared to replace.Looking at your pipework replacing would not be a problem.

Personally I think cover with the manufacturers themselves is much more worthwhile since having the knowledge of your appliance and parts in the back of your van the potential resolution time of breakdowns will more likely to be much less. No insurance cover however will cover an existing problem without a premium.

Did you know – a single boiler or central heating call out could cost you £370 **. But for £16.50 a month, that’s only £3.81 a week•, you’ll never have to worry about your home and your family being without heat or hot water for very long. You’ll get unlimited callouts, parts and labour† – and we’ll fix any problem with your boiler and full central heating system (including radiators, hot water and pipework) at no additional charge.[/url]

Ive never had a boiler repair (not a heat ex) cost as much as this. Are they using a heat ex as an example? I do BBU gaskets for less, much less if I can bung it.

David.

the boiler is a pile of crap, but i haven't seen any valves leaking on them and i see a fair few of these ****e machines.
turn off and on a couple of times should sort it out, but make sure they are both fully open when you are done as this tub will overheat very quickly if there is insufficient water flow through it.

cheers for all your replies. unfortunatley the boiler came with the house, so im stuck with it until it breaks! which judging by what you are all saying, shouldnt be too long lol :)

so i guess these are just butterfly valves? if i give them 3 rotates clockwise then 3 back, and see if this fixes it then? its not gonna screw right off is it?

If you get the two valves sorted, which shouldn't cost too much, then as long as the boiler is working ok besides this, then it should all be fine. I have a ten year old Ideal boiler, been looked after as all boilers should be, and have only replaced the fan. :)

looks like an ideal isar? if it is may be worth replacing the whole thing there rubbish!!

Dont listen to them slagging off the boiler, all the ones I have fitted have been fine, yes one or two PCB's, but then which boiler maker hasn't had a problem with something or other, there all $hitte, the Isar/Icos basically aint that bad, what you have to remember is that if a boiler doesn't have the technology to fly to Mars and Back it will get slagged off, all it really has to do is heat your house and hot water, if it's only the valves leaking just fit some new ones and leave the boiler, as long as it was flushed and had rust inhibitor when fitted it should be no more trouble than any other heap of crap on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back