Dangerous Or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PEB's on the wrong side of a gas meter or water stopcock.

I count that as dangerous as there may not be good continuity across the meter/ stopcock.

Can I have your views, please? ;)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say either are particularly dangerous, but you could easily prove this by using a low resistance ohmmeter to measure between the utility and householder sides of the meter and stop tap. Not that I'm condoning it, as removal of the gas meter, for example, would render the bonding useless. Although there wouldn't be very much to introduce potential into the remaining gas pipework on the householder's side, it's still an ECP nontheless.

I can see your point but if there was a high resistance across the meter then the incoming pipework on the supply side could rise to a different potential to the consumers side pipework under fault conditions :eek:

Sponsored Links
I can see your point but if there was a high resistance across the meter then the incoming pipework on the supply side could rise to a different potential to the consumers side pipework under fault conditions :eek:

Valid point, were it not for the fact that we don't really install PEBs with the intention of protecting the supplier's side of the installation...

No but it's extraneous and inside the equipotential zone.

Maybe continuity should be measured across the meter / stopcock and if that's the case then link both sides?

It's something I hadn't really thought about until now.

Secure calling RF...Get out the boozer mate & hit the KB..... ;)

If we consider that to be true, then theoretically we should be bonding on the supply side. Who knows, in the coming ammendments we may see a requirement to bond accross the meter :eek:

I think the most dangerous thing here is someone testing it with there meter

if there is a small leak and at the same point a posibility of a potential- I think you can work the rest out.....

Is the incomming service metalic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back