UPVC sliding door locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a sliding UPVC door, with a multipoint lock. I can lock the door from either inside or outside, but can't pull the key out once it is locked. The key almost turns to 12 o clock, but then appears to be stopped by something. Can anyone suggest why this is, and is it likely that I'll need a new lock?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Could be a faulty MPT, but more likely to be a faulty euro cylinder. Take the cylinder out (many threads on this procedure), and extract the key. The cam (black middle bit) should be at the 5 or 7 o'clock position - with the thinnest part of the cylinder pointing downwards. If not, the cam has slipped and you're best replacing it.

Cheap cylinder, often associated with poor key duplication. Best guess is that your lock cylinder and or the key has no brand embossed on it, the keycutter is then unsure of the correct key blank to use. The key then turns the lock cylinder and fails to connect with the cam on the inside of the cylinder.
Advice: change the cylinder for a more expensive version. If you need details of how to remove the cylinder please ask.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Thanks very much to you both for your speedy replies!

I've removed the cylinder, and it appears the cam has slipped. And you're right, I had a new key cut recently and it has always been sticky in the lock, so my fault I suppose!

I'll buy a better quality cylinder too this time. Thanks so much for your help, I was on the verge of calling a locksmith out - didn't think it could be this simple!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The new key being sticky is usual until the sharp edges have rounded slightly. If the key wasn't connecting with the cam, it wouldn't be locking/unlocking the door. I fit both high-end and budget cylinders, and to be honest a range called ASEC are very good value for money. No need to pay megga bucks, but do ensure its the correct size and fitted flush with the handles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back