Pressure vessel on cold water supply to boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A nice man from British Gas serviced my combi-boiler the other day and told me I needed a pressure vessel fitting on the water supply to my house.

He explained that when I turn off the hot tap, the hot boiler would cause the water to expand and thus increase the pressure in the cold water supply. He explained that this happens because there is a one way valve at the water meter and so expansion back down the supply pipe is not possible.

Now that's all very well, but why is this suddenly necessary after all these years. His remarks (and accompanying quote) were not motivated by the need to solve a problem. Nor had he put a pressure gauge on my cold water supply to see if the increase in water volume produced a significant increase in pressure in the volume of water in the length of pipe my side of the meter.

Please could someone fill in the blanks?

Sponsored Links
This idea does exist but the vessels rarely seem to be used. At least one source says it is only necessary with plastic pipe since copper pipe can take the pressure. I don't know myself.

If you've had the boiler a while (presumably you've had it over a year if it's being serviced) and you've not suffered from blown pipes/joints I shouldn't worry about it

Sponsored Links
Is anyone fitting pressure vessels on the cold supply when they fit combis, or is this just a British Gas thing?

Is anyone fitting pressure vessels when they put a water meter onto a supply to an existing combi?!?

Didn't know BG were fitting them, I haven't done any.

We were told, many months ago, that if the increase in pressure (we no vessel) causes water leaks then a mini vessel might be reqd, but combis are forever leaking anyway, even when there is no NRV on the main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back