Wilo Gold CH Pump Noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gradually the Wilo Gold CH Pump in our system has become noisier. I see that turning the speed down from 3 to 1 quitens it down but is this wise? Pump has been in for 6 years, driving about 15 rads.

Sponsored Links
If it sounds like it's pumping gravel, that's air.
If it's just grumbly then it's knackered. Wilo's hate dirty water, so a flush might be in order, when you change the pump.

6 years from a WIlo is 5 years more than I've known some of them last!

Gradually the Wilo Gold CH Pump in our system has become noisier. I see that turning the speed down from 3 to 1 quitens it down but is this wise? Pump has been in for 6 years, driving about 15 rads.
Are all the rads still getting hot? Then the slower pump speed is OK.

If the boiler is cycling a lot (turns on, runs for a few minutes then turns off for a few minutes, and then repeats), then the pump speed may be too low.

Ideally the pump speed is set to give the correct temperature difference between the flow and return pipes at the boiler and so all rads get equally hot.

Sponsored Links
With 15 rads, say 1.5kW each, a sludgy system (or your pump wouldn't have gotten noisy) you're likely to need the pump on full in the winter.
And it won't get quieter as time passes. It's only noisy because it's worn out.
Most of us have better things to do than go measuring temperatures of pipes to eke out the last few months' life of a pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back