Replacing a 3 port motorised valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace the Honeywell 3 port motorised valve on my heating system.
It is just a case of draining down the system. Then loosen the three flange rings that secure the old valve, remove it then replace with the new valve.
Re fill the system then job done?

I notice there is a lever on the motorised part of the valve with the words saying MAN - AUTO on the casing.
Does the lever have to be in a certain position when removing the old and when replacing the new?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi

I need to replace the Honeywell 3 port motorised valve on my heating system.
It is just a case of draining down the system. Then loosen the three flange rings that secure the old valve, remove it then replace with the new valve.
Re fill the system then job done?
Yes
I notice there is a lever on the motorised part of the valve with the words saying MAN - AUTO on the casing.
Does the lever have to be in a certain position when removing the old and when replacing the new?
best to put them both to MAN.
Oh! and write down which wires you disconnect from which terminals - everyone thinks they can remember but noone does.

Many thanks for your help Mick ;)

One last thing.
Once the new valve is on, do i then move the lever to auto before i refill the system of after it's filled?

After it's filled, make sure you put the valve the right way round. A to rads B to cylinder. AB from pump.

Sponsored Links
If terminal box is a complete mess I carry a blank plate and single gang back box and cut the flex from the old valve and connect the old and the new flex in there.
Much easier especially when someones twisted all the wires together, 6 neutrals all jammed into the same terminal etc..

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated :)

I know i said 'one last question' but i had one more pop into the old grey matter.

As the old valves been in situ for 15+ years chances are one or more of the flange nuts may have seized (hopefully not)
If they have, is there any thing one can do to unseize them?
The valve is in a stupid place, close to the wall and in a cupboard you have to crouch to get into :confused:

The valve is in a stupid place, close to the wall and in a cupboard you have to crouch to get into :confused:

Thats why you can pay for some mug (like me) to get in there and do it for you! :D

Aslong as you've got a pair i.e 2 pump pliers (grips) of decent quality then getting them undone should be no problem,

The problem usually is getting the movement on the pipework to remove the valve once the nuts are undone :evil:

Thanks Rob884.

I would much rather pay someone like you but times are hard and i have to try and do it myself. If i can't i call ya ;)

OK so a couple of quality pump pliers are on my shopping list.
Unless mole grips & Stilsons are OK?

'The problem usually is getting the movement on the pipework to remove the valve once the nuts are undone' .............. so what do i do if this happens? pretty please :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back