Would removing these doors make the house colder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a set of old aluminium sliding doors separating the hallway from the lounge. The lounge is 30' with DG french windows to the South garden and single paned stained leaded to the North.

I am installing Oak wooden flooring throughout. The installer has diplomatically suggested that the lounge doors are pug ugly and best consigned to the heap. I am concerned that the resulting big open space might chill the house down, driving all the heat from the ground floor up or out.

Any advice please? I have spent about 4-5K installing Kingspan insulation to all single skinned walls. I dont want to ruin all this. See piccies:

hallway.jpg

slidingdoor.jpg

sldgdoorlounge.jpg

Thank You

Sponsored Links
You will lose plenty of heat up the stairs, they are pig ugly, the bedrooms upstairs may be warmer though. I'd replace them with a wall and a fire door.

They are ugly. Why are they there? :confused:

Anyway, get shut of them. If you want open plan, remove the wall at both ends too. If you want it closed in, extend the walls and have one smaller door.

If the hall and living room are the same temp, why would removing the doors make any difference? ;)

No reason not to have sliding or folding doors here, but they do not need to be overly glazed and would look better in oak or sum'ink similar.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment. Due to overwhelming feminine opinion at home, the sliding doors are now in the skip....dead easy too.

Udhi

well take them out,remove the glass.put glass in skip and pay a visit to your local scrap dealer and weigh them in,even if you get a few pounds it should at least pay for a pint in your local,especially after all your hard work. ;) :LOL:

your down stairs will take ages to warm up fully as hot air rises you will have to heat the upstairs hallway to around 25 degrees to get 21 down stairs further agrivated by any draughts/airflow

replace it with oak framed glazing. just see it in a self build mag - beautiful.

Bang-Bang-Bang-Pow-Pow-pow.....screeeeeech-CRASH!! All done. The difference is amazing. The place looks huge. I'd be loath to install another partition of sorts.

Piccies for your titilation:
P4030060.jpg

P4030059.jpg

....just out of interest, would I be needing planning permission for this.....

Regards

No need for p.p.

It seems by removing those doors, you have admitted the blue ghost into the house..... :eek:

Listen you two smartarses, I am still stunned there is no blood spray on the walls after that endeavor so no kickings re photographic skills!! :p

The unpartitioned place looks REALLY nice though.

Oh thats it, lets all pick on my poor doggy now! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Thats another good reason, the poor bugger has been bouncing off that everytime the post comes through. What I save in vet's bills can go to pay the higher heating bills perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back