notifiable???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Are these notifiable jobs?

1) Changing a single to double socket in the kitchen

2) A new light in the pantry (with a door that opens in the kitchen)

3) New sockets in a dining room next to the kitchen, the door between them is removed and there is an arched opening instead

4) New sockets in the extension (there is a cold water supply for a washing machine)

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

3) New sockets in a dining room next to the kitchen, the door between them is removed and there is an arched opening instead

4) New sockets in the extension (there is a cold water supply for a washing machine)

Many thanks in advance!

1- No
2- No
3- No
4- No

All on the proviso that you are adding to existing circuits and that nothing is changed at the CU.

NO
NO
??? - IIRC the kitchen extends 3m from the sink for open plan kitchen/diner type rooms
NO

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Many thanks in advance!

1- No
2- No
3- No
4- No

All on the proviso that you are adding to existing circuits and that nothing is changed at the CU.

Small point, I think that should be 'replacing' rather than adding.

According to the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations

"A kitchen is particularly identified in the Approved Documents as beng a location where:
adding a lighting point, light fitting and switches to an existing circuit
addition socket outlets and fused spurs to existing ring or radial circuit
is required to be notified to Building Control."

Still doesn't mean this work as described needs notification provided (3) meets with the 3m distance from the sink issue identified by nozspark.

Has anyone EVER notified a change of a single to double outlet in a kitchen :LOL: :?:

I'm sure the op would simply flout the rules and get one of these:-

CPE25SLASH1C.JPG

:LOL: :LOL:

I think swopping a double for a single socket is replacing and not adding to the circuit and therefore is not notifiable. It doesn't say anything about the swop has to be like for like.

But as usual with the guidance given in Part P it is open to interpretation.

3 and 4 would depend whether the new socket is an addition to an existing circuit or a new circuit bac to the CU..

Guys, thank you very much for all the replies!

3 and 4 are not new circuits, they are spurs (one in the extension, and 1 in the dining room) from existing circuits.

I am not sure if the kitchen/diner is an open plan or not. No wall has been knocked down, just the door between the 2 rooms is removed, the opening is the size of the door and anyway it is 3 m away from the sink.

Best regards to everybody!

kitchen stops at the doorway.. doesn't matter if there's a door or not ( to us.. might ba a fire regulation breach though.. )

I think swopping a double for a single socket is replacing and not adding to the circuit and therefore is not notifiable. It doesn't say anything about the swop has to be like for like.

But as usual with the guidance given in Part P it is open to interpretation.

This is where it gets muddy.

Approved document P, table 2, additional note b:
Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation

The same paragraph from p22 of the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations:

Replacement (like for like), repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation

:rolleyes:

replacing a single with a double is ADDING a socket.. basic maths..
1+1=2... you are doubling the maximum current that can be pulled at that point on the wiring..

replacing a single with a double is ADDING a socket.. basic maths..
1+1=2... you are doubling the maximum current that can be pulled at that point on the wiring..

Correct me if I am wrong, (and I probably will be :LOL: ), but if it is on a ring main then the cable would be rated for about 42A depending on installation method. Each appliance connected to the double socket would be protected by, at the largest, a 13A fuse in the plug top of the appliance therefore there would be a maximum demand at that point of 26A.

Am I wrong in this instance?

not the point...

you are doubling the current that could be drawn from that point from 13A to 26A..
you're altering the circuit characteristics and in a kitchen that could mean the difference between pluggin in the washing machine at that point, and plugging in the WM & the dishwasher...

Not the point.

vv2806 is not proposing to add a socket outlet, he is proposing to replace one.

A socket outlet is a socket outlet is a socket outlet - doesn't matter whether it is 1-gang, or 2-gang or 3-gang, it is still a socket outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back