Neighbour dispute so he's turned off my water supply! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didnt know till now but my neighbour has a stop cock for my water in his house. we've had a dispute over something else so he's decided to turn my water on and off when he feels like it without notice. Can he do this?

He won't answer the door, won't answer the phone and has admitted he is doing it on purpose to frustrate us.
Can I make him turn it back on and if so how? The water board say they only get involved with external pipes and this is in a private house so its not their issue but surely i have a right to running water?!!

Sponsored Links
Tried them, they won't get involved saying its a "civil dispute". they'll attend with me only and won't do anything else

next stop, Citizens Advice Bureau (or solicitor but it will cost. You might get a "first interview free" or you might have Legal Expenses Cover on your home Insurance - it is quite common)

I wonder if the Council would act as a Nuisnace neighbour?

Sponsored Links
I didn't know till now, but my neighbour has a stop cock for my water in his house.
I'm trying to envisage the layout of the two properties. Are there two separate houses - detached, semi-, or terraced? If not is it one house divided into flats and the neighbour is on the ground floor where the water enters the building?

Is it a freehold, leasehold or rented property?

If freehold or leasehold you need to look at the deeds, where there should be a clause about running water. If rented, you should speak to your landlord.

Citizens Advice is the cheapest option for advice, they will say if it's worth contacting your solicitor. The solicitor you used when purchasing the property (assuming it's not rented) would be the best bet. If you employed a surveyor (not one sent by the Building Society just to value the property), get in contact with them as well and with your Building Society. Someone should have picked this up and if they did not they may be liable.

You said this is retaliation by your neighbour over another dispute. You must make this clear to anyone you contact for advice and tell them what the main dispute is about.

the property has been split in three bits, he has the original part of the house and we have part of it so we're all leaseholders under the freehold with a management company in place to deal with insurance etc (which he never pays)

the dispute is over him trying to take loans out in our management company name!

checking the deeds now and think solicitors are the only way...maybe an injunction?

thanks for your help

Try the enviromental health dept at your council , turning water off can have health issue's , either that or go around & thump him !!!

so its our fault that the guy has been fradulently trying to use our name to take our massive loans!!!
and how can he victimise us like this?

Any dispute has got nothing to do with turning off water , even if one did not pay your water bill , the water co' cannot (domestic) cut your water off , it is illegal !!

Well thats a criminal offence but not one the police bother much about as they prefer catching motorists.

My supply comes from my neighbours but they dont know that.

Technically its probably harassment but again the police will probably not be interested as you have no legal right to a supply through his property.

Are you sure he was trying to take out loans to get the money? Could he be making them in yoir name just to cause you bother?

Tony

You don't need a plumber, you need a judge. Or maybe a very large intimidating plumber. But not Agile, 'cos he's actually your neighbour continuing to wind you up ;)

Knowing all too well what solicitors charge, it would probably be cheaper to get a new water supply fitted to your property :rolleyes:

:) I reckon we should ask West Brom , what he would do if he lived there !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back